Best Way to Alert Myself

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by peroa, Jan 5, 2010.

1. peroa

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    I'm trying to find the best way to alert myself electronically on my wrist.
    I've looked into a small vibrator, although that would work, I am also looking into shocking myself, not a painful shock but enough to feel it.
    What components could be used to create a feelable shock and what kind of power source would be required to do this?

2. Paulo540

Nov 23, 2009
    Alert yourself to what?

Cell phones have alarms, mine has an appointment book.

3. peroa

Jan 5, 2010
    Haha, that's very true but it's for an experiment and must be through the touch sense. :)

4. Paulo540

Nov 23, 2009
  5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    How about making a resistor hot pad. Can be very gentle and without any startle reflex. Shock and even vibrators can give startle, which you might not want in an experiment.

John

6. peroa

Jan 5, 2010
    A hot pad is an interesting idea but it needs to be intermittent; kind of like a pulse for a short period of time.
    I don't know the type of input yet, I'm just trying to find components and ways of doing this. And specifically, I'm trying to get more info about how to create a small but noticeable shock.

Thanks a lot though for the info!

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    It would help a lot, if you would give a little more information about your plans and needs. In particular how do you define "short period of time?"

John

8. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    I suspect he wants to "alert" unsuspecting friends.:eek:

9. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    We are quite adamant about safety around here. We try to help our electronic n00bs avoid situations that might lead to injury or property damage, which includes self-inflicted electric shock. This is in accordance with the rules and code of board conduct.

Instead of electric shock, consider using a vibrating pager motor, or perhaps a small relay or solenoid. Any of these three could be easily actuated with a low voltage supply, and would give audible as well as tactile (touch) input - along with being quite safe.

10. boriz

Jul 16, 2009
    Mild electric shocks are easy. See: <snip>

But as a mechanical alternative, here’s an idea: Strip a cheap earpiece, the in-ear type you get with personal stereos. It functions very much like a solenoid. By giving it ‘kicks’ from say 3v, you should be able to feel it if the diaphragm is pressed against your skin. If it’s too gentle, up the voltage. Just make sure the kicks are very short, otherwise you’ll burn out the coil, and maybe a bit of skin too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
  11. Paulo540

Nov 23, 2009
    Ruh-roh...

12. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    This forum tries to avoid stun guns in accord with its rules of conduct:
    Providing a link to stun guns is the same as providing that information. That is the main reason I suggested a non-shock notification and asked for more information. It seems the OP really just wants a device to shock. No device for shocking can be made perfectly safe.

John