Best place to wire power line in c5 corvette

Discussion in 'Automotive Electronics' started by hamrecycling, Sep 5, 2016.

1. hamrecycling

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Hey everyone, i have a c5 corvette needing a stereo power wire installed. The OEM wire harness is not hot, i believe someone disconnected some place under the dash. or someone cut the powers , red and yellow wires, the speaker wires still work fine. Its very odd, dont have the time to trace the entire hardness. Someone mentioned just rewiring to accessory. this way when the key is turned on the power is hot to run the stereo. anyway have any suggestions?
    I was thinking either the key ignition itself, or cigarette light?
    Thanks

2. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Why not just run the new wire to the fuse block? Pull the radio fuse out and turn the key to ACC to find out wich side is the hot side, than wire to the other side of that fuse. But there could be two powers for the radio, one that works with the key and one hot at all times, for the radio presets memory.

3. hamrecycling

Sep 5, 2016
    Hey short, thank you for the reply, the stereo is a kenwood. your right it has a red and yellow. One is used to kick the unit on the other is constant. Yeh, maybe ill try your idea to wire to the fuse box as well. I will try it, and see if it is suitable.
    Thank you

4. hamrecycling

Sep 5, 2016
    This was a wrecked model when i got it, so it seems to have alot of wiring issues.

5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    First things you need is a good wiring diagram and multimeter and test light. With the wiring diagram you could probably pull the correct wires out of the main wiring right at the fuse box to make a splice.

6. hamrecycling

Sep 5, 2016
    Thanks Short, yeh, just got a diagram, the worst part is the damn dash is so small, haha I really do not want to have to disassemble the whole freaking dash. Not to just put in a radio, haha, everything else is getting good power and working. Been checking everything from the windows to the gas door open switch. Looks like so far only the radio harness was disconnected some place. First thing i do was check to make sure there was a fuse. Its there, is fine, speakers work, so only the powers do not.
    I guess i got more work to do, haha, thanks so much for your help :)

7. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    While I've never worked on a Vette , most all of the other GM cars and trucks, when you take out the screws holding the fuse block in , there is enough slack in the wiring harness that it can drop down below the bottom of the dash panel.

8. bwilliams60

Nov 18, 2012
    What year is this car?