Best Place to get Bits for PCB Drilling

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Electroguy86, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Electroguy86

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, I recently received some Micro bits from Amazon. Well they are from China and I bet you can guess what Chinese things do. Break! The first time I used the bits they began to break. All but the biggest ones.

http://www.amazon.com/10Pcs-Print-C...qid=1415510028&sr=8-1&keywords=pcb+drill+bits

These are the bits I bought.

All I want to know is where to get good ones from? Ones that will not break on the first buy. They must fit Dremel 3000 and I do use a Dremel Drill Press.

Thanks!

2. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  3. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I got a lot of resharpened carbide bits off of ebay years (>10) ago for a penny or so each. I don't know if such deals still exist.

As for breakage, the smaller ones will break if you force them and/or are not using a drill press. They simply will not tolerate being off axis or bent.

John

4. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    When I was out of bits I used 1mm steel nail with its head chopped off.Drilled pretty good.:D

#12, Dr.killjoy and RodneyB like this.
  5. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    The last time I check eBay they where all over the place for sale on resharpened bits and can be had for pretty cheap ...

6. Electroguy86

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 20, 2012
    I am assuming that the bits from mscdirect fit a standard dremel 3000? And yes I use a press

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I simply stopped by a local machine shop and bought a variety of sizes...but then, I only drill bigger holes on perfboards when needed.
    I guess I can't help much on this one, but I would like to say I have gotten away with using a cut nail as ISB123 mentioned. Three or four holes is so much different from doing a whole board.

8. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    research "end mill" bits. specifically ones that are center cutting. unlike drill bits that approach the size of a strand of hair, the small end of an end mill bit flares out and becomes a 1/8 inch shaft. perfect for a dremel tool. also stronger sincr the small drilling portion is shorter than a drill bit. less chance of flex breakage. the solid carbide ones will stay sharp longer if cutting lots of fiberglass.

9. BobTPH

Jun 5, 2013
    I use Kyocera and Hertel bits bought from MCS which was linked by KJ6EAD.

I have broken two of them by accidentally hitting them with something while they were in the drill press. No casualties when in proper use.

Make sure you order ones with 1/8 in shank to fit in your Dremel, which is what I use.

Bob