Best microcontroller for outputting pictures?

K.Flynn

Joined Jun 29, 2011
Hello,

I hope you are having a good day.

I need to know what is the best microcontroller on the market which stores and sends pictures (not video) over VGA.

It would need the typical I/O of a microcontroller (TX, RX, SPI & I2C) I guess it would really only have to have RX.

I want to send a byte of info or integer to the microcontroller and have it display a picture dependent upon what number I sent it. If it could send it the name of the picture that would be awesome!!!

Thank you for your time.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
AVRs and PICs are popular microcontrollers which offer these features.

The choice depends which one do you prefer to use and the development tools you have (if any).

If you do not want to spend lots of money, I think it is better to go for AVRs because they provide Basic and C compilers for free (and assemblers of course).

Also, PMLAB IDE is provided for free plus some limited version of CCS C compiler for PICs.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
VGA? As in "Video Graphics Array" or "the display hardware first introduced with the IBM PS/2 line of computers in 1987"?

Umm, none of the above.

I do have a book which described doing black & white on a VGA, but it's 2011 and B&W is for the History Channel. On second thought, they now show WWII in color.

Currently I am doing 16 bit color graphics on a touchscreen run off a PIC32. Every piece of my coding tools, IDE, C compiler, graphics library I downloaded for free from Microchip.

Just what are you trying to do?

BTW, here's my clock:

K.Flynn

Joined Jun 29, 2011
I need the microcontroller to have VGA output.
The following VGA cord should be able to plug into the microcontroller.