Best Means of Testing Op Amp MOC3011

dlack

Joined Jan 3, 2014
I have a 2K dimmer device that I'm trying to repair. It's not sending out the proper output and I need to test the Op Amp from the Circuit Board. I have the data sheet of this chip, my question is what would be the best way testing this chip...I'm thinking with the oscilloscope, if so please elaborate?

Thank you

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The MOC3011, as far as I know is an optocoupler, not an op amp.
Yep. It's listed as a "Optocoupler Triac AC Output 1 Channel 250VDRM 6-Pin PDIP" by one vendor.

DO BE VERY CAREFUL TESTING. This looks like a line coupled dimmer so expect everything you touch to have deadly voltage on it. Also you need to be careful where you connect the scope ground, as this common to the line ground on many scopes.

There is an LED on one side between pins 1 (cathode) and 2 (anode) and a triac between pins 4&6. You shoulde see a 1-2V pulse from 1 to 2 when this should be on, but that may not show up on the scope well. One side of 4&6 will low, the other will be the line voltage when it is off and a low voltage (<1v?) when on as it chops the AC voltage.

dlack

Joined Jan 3, 2014
Yep. It's listed as a "Optocoupler Triac AC Output 1 Channel 250VDRM 6-Pin PDIP" by one vendor.

DO BE VERY CAREFUL TESTING. This looks like a line coupled dimmer so expect everything you touch to have deadly voltage on it. Also you need to be careful where you connect the scope ground, as this common to the line ground on many scopes.

There is an LED on one side between pins 1 (cathode) and 2 (anode) and a triac between pins 4&6. You shoulde see a 1-2V pulse from 1 to 2 when this should be on, but that may not show up on the scope well. One side of 4&6 will low, the other will be the line voltage when it is off and a low voltage (<1v?) when on as it chops the AC voltage.
Thank you I will take those precautions and feedback into account.