Best component ID web-site

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Gdrumm, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Gdrumm

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I recognize many electronic components, but a few still elude me.

Is there a cheat sheet that I can download that has:
    1. Photos
    2. A brief description of the components function
    3. How to test each one?

Thanks,
    Gary

My current project is to try and repair two old computer power supplies that won't turn on.

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Computer power supplies wouldn't be my first choice for the novice. They aren't easy to repair and you can quite often find yourself chasing your tail. Electrolytic capacitors are always problematic in older units so look at these first.

Please be very careful however because 230VAC or 325VDC, both voltages present, can be lethal!

4. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    Many components come in standardized packages i.e. lots of things come in 8pin DIPs but give Mouser / Digikey / Newark / Allied etc. a look. Type 'capacitor' into the search bar and get a gazillion hits with thumbnail pictures. Order the hardcopy catalog and keep it in the head for those extended study sessions. All have representative pictures of everything.

Since you are in Dallas, TX. go to Tanner Electronics on Valwood just West of I35E. Its a family business that has been trading new and surplus electronics since silicon was chic. Everything they have is out for browsing. Grab something and bring it to the counter or bring your own things to them for ID and to hear the story behind it. Saturday mornings have the place bustling with everyone from professionals to hobbyists, students to noobs. Jim and the gang do their best to help and frequently you'll have someone who overheard your question come up and offer help. I've sketched out many PIC solutions over the years for everyone from noobs to Doctors using PICs for their various projects and have been helped countless times from others just walking up and saying 'I know about that..'

Great place.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  5. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Google :D:p

Seriously though, if a google search doesn't turn up anything, chances are it's a custom part and you won't be able to find a site to ID it.

6. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Be very careful inside line-powered smps. They can kill you in a heatbeat. I worry about someone who needs a crib sheet working on them...