Best Affordable Calculator for Electronics?

fitzthecool

Joined Aug 20, 2015
What Calculator would you recommend for a newbie hobbyist that will meet my needs until I know what I am really doing?

Some things that are attractive to me include;
  1. Multi-line display
  2. Solar power
  3. Anything educational (If there's one that actually help you understand advanced calculations better, that would be awesome.)
Thank you!

fitzthecool

Joined Aug 20, 2015
Thank you ISB123. That's what I thought, but I was hoping somebody has experience with several models and could steer me to something that they prefer, or is a better value.

It seems there's a large group between $8-$25, then a big jump up to $100+. Do these pricey ones really have features I am going to wish I had?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I'll second ISB123's and atferrari's suggestions: find an inexpensive scientific calculator that can also work in binary and hex (for programming work), with solar or dual power. I have an old Casio FX-280 (now discontinued, I think) on my computer desk, and a newer Casio FX-300MS on my electronics workbench. I think they were both under $10.

I don't think it makes sense to pay any more than $25 for a calculator; if you do, you'll just be throwing away money to get fancy features you'll rarely-- if ever-- need.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
What Calculator would you recommend for a newbie hobbyist that will meet my needs until I know what I am really doing?

Some things that are attractive to me include;
  1. Multi-line display
  2. Solar power
  3. Anything educational (If there's one that actually help you understand advanced calculations better, that would be awesome.)
Thank you!
I use the OpenOffice version of Microsoft Excel on my laptop and a scientific calculator from a thrift store ($1) on my bench.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Boy, you sure didn't waste any time!

Hope you like the toy.

I like RPN and so I usually pay a bit more for an HP that supports it (which is not that easy to do). Also, I used to like how ruggedly built HP calculators were. Notice the past tense. The last one that I bought (an HP-32S if I remember correctly) was about $35.

But I haven't used a hand-held calculator for several years (though there have been times I would have preferred to have one available). I use the calculator that comes with Windows a LOT and, when that's not sufficient, I turn to Excel. I suspect that this unconsciously-imposed hassle factor has also forced me to do a lot of my simple math with pen and paper, which has kept my arithmetic skill pretty sharp. My freshman year in college I realized I had gotten so reliant on my damn calculator that I was having trouble adding or multiplying two 2-digit numbers without it and have since deliberately chosen to not use a calculator of any kind for stuff that I should be proficient at manually. It's paid off.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I bought a Canon F-7895GA 2 years ago and I love to use it quite much when I am not on the computer.

With my PC is switched on, I use mostly the MS calculators on the desktop. And I also have a HP48 emulator on my desktop. It is so sophisticated that I am still learning how to use it.

my desktop.PNG
Allen

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
They have pop up ads and are clunky to use.
Clunky? Haven't noticed....but considering there are hundreds of different calculator apps for Android and others, I am sure a few of them are likely clunky.

Ads? Well, don't be so cheap. Send the author his $0.99 or $4.99 to get rid of the ads. Still cheaper than a separate device.

I've got 3 calculators that I've had for the past 30 years. They fit like a glove.

*But*, my phone is always with me. The calculators are not. I find myself using the phone more over time (for all sorts of things), and as you get used to it, the old hardware starts to feel clunky.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My phone is a cheap flip phone. I use it's very basic calculator, but it doesn't have much.

Of course I also carry a Win8 tablet in my purse, but if I need a calculator there is either my computer (which is the common use) or one of several scattered around the house.