Benefits of industrial vendor training (specifically Rockwell)

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I am a maintenance technician. I was previously a drilling systems installation & commissioning technician on oil rigs. I aspire to be an engineering technician (one day an engineer if I can ever find time to go to college)

My company has agreed to send me through Rockwell's ControlLogix Programmer Certificate Program.

I am wondering how good this looks on a resume.

Also, after that training, there are several other vendors who offer training which I wish to attend (Siemens, Omron, Profibus, etc.)

I don't have a college degree, so I need all the help I can get - what are the big shots out there looking for on a resume (in terms of training certs) - if they even care about that at all?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You are working and naming some great companies. I would say that a start.
If they start drilling again and get better work,may be college courses on Internet
if you are on a floating rig.You will have time to study and nothing to bother you.
Did you watch the hearings,supervising and every detail will be Important from now on.
The simple questions they asked ,needed great detailed answers so supervisor work
will be very Important In the future.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I am a maintenance technician.
I should have specified; I am not working on rigs anymore. I am working in a production plant. Different machines, same controls. Probably not going back to the oil field

You are working and naming some great companies. I would say that a start.
If they start drilling again and get better work,may be college courses on Internet
if you are on a floating rig.You will have time to study and nothing to bother you.
Did you watch the hearings,supervising and every detail will be Important from now on.
The simple questions they asked ,needed great detailed answers so supervisor work
will be very Important In the future.
Online classes still an option though

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You are working that the good thing,with a good company even better.
Have you search the internet schools,will the be accepted on a resume.
Most resumes are judged on key words presented In one or two lines
that will be accepted for a second look.Its hard to know what a company
wants, a lot of companies use head hunter companies to fill there needs.
There are so many people that already degree's that can't find work.
Live will never be the same as we knew It before,too many people have accepted
the new normal of no jobs,no houses,no credit this Is world wide.
Will the cost of degree's be worth It If this last 20 years.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Go for it!! When I worked in maintenance the company sent me to several different schools, that just strengthened my job position with the company.
Knowledge is power, both in your present job and in future applications.
A former student from my school (he went to Industrial Maintenance, I teach Electronics) was sent to the same school (Rockwell) by his present employers, so that he could work on a new machine.
When business got slow, he kept his job and a senior employee got laid off.

The senior employee was offered the same oppertunity to go to the same school
but declined, he lost out on the latest training and this was evident on the new machine.

Last edited:

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Go for it!!! Also try for the degree if possible. You might have many more skills than a degree holder, but many employers require the degree before you can apply. I know, I was told by a HR rep, that I had all the qualifications they were looking for, and the job would be mine except that I hadn't finished the degree yet, I was missing an english and physics class to graduate. I did have the certificate, but they would not waive the requirement. My current employer requires a degree as well. That paper opens many doors.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
why would one even question the added value, and yes, the cert will empress.

I commissioned Tesco electric top drives for a number of years, and it was some of the best learning I've gone through. I do a lot of work with Controllogix, and the boys at Rockwell have whatever you need for skill development.

Many companies are unable to justify the expense of technical training. If you've found one that can, take advantage of the value.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Certificates are always good. They aren't college, but they show you have been there, done that. IF you get a stack of books, keep them, and especially that piece of paper.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You are working that the good thing,with a good company even better.
Have you search the internet schools,will the be accepted on a resume.
Most resumes are judged on key words presented In one or two lines
that will be accepted for a second look.Its hard to know what a company
wants, a lot of companies use head hunter companies to fill there needs.
There are so many people that already degree's that can't find work.
Live will never be the same as we knew It before,too many people have accepted
the new normal of no jobs,no houses,no credit this Is world wide.
Will the cost of degree's be worth It If this last 20 years.
Yeah, I experienced this when I was job searching last year. I went face to face with a bout 30 different employers, asking for an interview and all but one of them handed me a card or a piece of scratch paper with a website on it. Even fast food restaurants & grocery stores are like this now; I found out when I tried to teach my little sister how to find a job. Search algorithms pick and choose which resumes get seen by a human. That one human decides who gets interviewed from the results. That human is usually from the HR department. so the keywords are usually something stupid like "energetic" or "team player". This HR corpse has no tech knowledge so putting impressive technical info on your resume doesn't help you; they won't know what they are reading and your resume will go to file 13.

why would one even question the added value, and yes, the cert will empress.

I commissioned Tesco electric top drives for a number of years, and it was some of the best learning I've gone through. I do a lot of work with Controllogix, and the boys at Rockwell have whatever you need for skill development.

Many companies are unable to justify the expense of technical training. If you've found one that can, take advantage of the value.
I started out as a Top Drive service tech for National Oilwell Varco. Things slowed down around here, so I got sent to Singapore to Commission a top drive on a new build drill ship. When I got there, the top drive wasn't ready, so I spent a couple of months working with the control systems engineers. They apparently had good things to report to my boss back stateside, because when I got back I learned that I had been pulled from top drives and moved to controls. BTW, where in Canada are you? I worked in the NOV shop in Leduc, Alberta for a while which was right down the road from a Tesco shop.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You have to be good at what you do to get travel pay.
Companies just don't pay travel fee's with out good
reason.You must have travel documents to get work.
You must know to stay out of trouble in places like
Singapore.You hear of workers getting locked up for
a long time over seas. A guy accepted a job overseas
to manage a company,his job lay off workers,the workers
got back at him.He ended up In jail .

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You have to be good at what you do to get travel pay.
Companies just don't pay travel fee's with out good
reason.You must have travel documents to get work.
You must know to stay out of trouble in places like
Singapore.You hear of workers getting locked up for
a long time over seas. A guy accepted a job overseas
to manage a company,his job lay off workers,the workers
got back at him.He ended up In jail .
Yeah, get out of line in singapore (i.e. get caught chewing bubble gum - a controlled substance, or smoking imported cigarettes) and you get a judiciuos smackdown delivered by cane pole. Get caught with a joint and you die for that. In neighboring muslim countries like malaysia & indonesia, if you get caught in bed with a woman out of wedlock, you will be married to her shortly, with or without your consent.

It's not just government punishments; one thing guys forget is that they represent the company even off duty. If you make problems for the locals, the locals make problems for your company. Companies don't want guys around that leave a wake of trouble or give them a bad name. I have seen a couple of guys who were technical experts get let go because of bad judgement calls while drinking off duty. losing your job can be just as devastating as winding up in jail.

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
In addition to the certification and knowledge it sends a message to your current employer that you want to become more valuable, and to future employers that you were valuable enough to spend money on to keep.