Bending measurement of a beam.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Ben Joies, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Ben Joies

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Hi,

Iam working on a project to measure the bending of a tool. The measurement is made with the help of a strain guage(full bridge). Since the output is mV I need an amplifier to amplify the voltage. The amplified output need to be given to Beckhoff modules and the interface need to be coded to get the output ( basically the graph showing the bending in mm) on my laptop.

The amplifier chosen is AE 301 from HBM. But can the output of amplifier be given directly to Beckhoff clamp. Or is thera another component needed to be used in between. Iam an ME and not that much into Electrical stuff. Are these components enough for the measurement system.
    (Strain guage model: HBM 1-VY11-6/120 and Beckhoff clamp EL 3104)

2. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    The 301 has a single ended output. (one output line) The EL3104 is a differential input (2 inputs). But, I think you could ground the - (minus) input and it would work ok.

3. Ben Joies

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. Even I was thinking about the same thing. But the amplifier AE301 can accomodate only one strain guage, i guess( thats my understanding). Then is it better to use the Beckhoff clamp EL 3351 directly to connect with beckhoff, because they are half the price as the amplifier and simple system.

Please help me in deciding which one is better!! Beckhoff3351.png EA301.jpg

4. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    It does look like that one could be used directly, but maybe someone has more experience with them.