bench power supply not grounded

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by casulica, Jun 25, 2013.

1. casulica

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Hi everyone,

Maybe its just a stupid question but, hey, I rather ask experienced guys like you than to risk getting a nasty shock!
    I just bought my first power supply(ebay cheapo), and just wondering ... Is it safe to use it if its not grounded(it has only 2 prongs), or should I change it to a 3 wire cable with 3 prongs,with the ground wire connected to the metal case of the power supply?

And also the funny thing is that it has 3 output connections , + , ground, and -.
    Why would it have the 3rd output connection(ground) when it's not even grounded that damn thing!!!

Thanks!

2. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Can you give us more details?

You say it has a metal case?

But you say the mains supply lead is only two core or has the earth core been truncated?

You say the supply terminals are marked + earth -

Is this correct or are they marked + 0 -?

If it has a metal case it would be illegal in the UK not to ground the that case for safety reasons which would still apply wherever you are.

3. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    Can you post some clear photos of the unit?

4. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
    What country are you in and what psu model number is it?

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    In general, yes you should use a three-wire power cable to ground the chassis.

The ground output pin connects to the chassis. Without a connection to the power line ground, it probably doesn't do much.

6. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Hey guys we don't know enough about this psu.

The actual power supply may be floating and the ground terminal (if it is one) may be to ground the case, perhaps in an equipment rack to the rack ground. It may not be to supply ground to anything!

Bear in mind this is an unknown, possibly second hand unit off Ebay.

7. Stuntman

Mar 28, 2011
    Few thoughts.

A.) Yes, that is silly that it has a ground terminal yet no ground to your outlet.

B.) A simple continuity tester will tell you if the ground terminal is at least tethered to the chassis. Find a bare piece of metal on the chassis to probe between it and the ground terminal.

C.) In a few minutes, a hacked computer cable could be rewired into the PSU to fix it. Often, the line power wires hook on with solder lugs or 1/4" quick disconnects.

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Just to reiterate what others have said.

1) Tell us what country you are in so we know what are the AC mains in that country, or show a photo of the AC mains outlet.

2) Tell us the make and model of the PSU and take pictures of the front, back and power cord.

3) Take and ohmmeter and measure the resistance between the GROUND terminal and the metal chassis.

4) Disconnect the 2-conductor power cord and install a 3-conductor power cord with the proper grounded power plug.

9. casulica

Apr 17, 2013
    Hi guys, I have attached a few photos of the power supply, it clearly shows that it has only 2 wires which connects to the outlet.
    A brown (hot) with a fuse in series and blue(neutral), and there is no ground wire.
    Also thats why I was saying how funny this thing is because it has an output ground which is connected to the case(it can be seen in the picture) but the power supply itself is not grounded!!!

And btw, I live in Canada.

10. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    That PSU would not meet CSA approval.

The power switch is wired incorrectly.
    Rip out the 2-conductor cable and install a 3-conductor cable:
    BLACK - LIVE
    WHITE - NEUTRAL
    GREEN - GROUND

BLACK - FUSE - SWITCH - TRANSFORMER
    WHITE - TRANSFORMER
    GREEN - CHASSIS

Put some heat shrink tubing over the fuse connections.

ErnieM and casulica like this.
  11. casulica

Apr 17, 2013
    ok, so should I change it to a power cord with 3 wires and connect the ground to metal case?

12. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Yes. But just as important, you have to rewire the power switch.
    The switch goes between the fuse and the transformer.

Also, put some heat shrink tubing over the switch connections.

casulica likes this.
  13. casulica

Apr 17, 2013
    thank you!!!

14. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Yes, Mr Chips is correct this unit dangerous, and his advice sound.

The above is an often missed point that it is part of the wiring regulations that any conductor at live potential (eg the end of the mains fuse as shown) must be covered so that it cannot be touched.
    Don't only insulate the fuse terminal, make sure there are no other mains voltage bare conductors accessible inside the box.

From the photos there would appear to be adequate spacing between conductors for the potentials involved.

Yes

From what I can see there is a cable retainer at the entrance to the case. This must be maintained.
    Also the earth wire must be the longest of the three so that if the cable is yanked then the earth will be the last wire to separate.

go well and safely

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  15. bug13

Feb 13, 2012
    I almost buy this power supply too, guess I need to look for another one now