Being a Moderator

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I am not quite sure what you mean by that. If you are saying I am trying to railroad LG or anyone out of town you would be mistaken
I would have never imagined my comments would be taken that way. I only thought a series of lines drawn in the sand resembles a rail road track.

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
I am not quite sure what you mean by that. If you are saying I am trying to railroad LG or anyone out of town you would be mistaken
I take the railroad analogy as meaning that rather than a single line that shouldn't be crossed there are two with a gap in the middle with questionable boundaries?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I would have never imagined my comments would be taken that way. I only thought a series of lines drawn in the sand resembles a rail road track.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

It's actually a fine example of how something meant to convey one idea can easily be completely misinterpreted to mean something completely different. I wasn't sure what you meant by the original comment and, upon reading JohnInTX's interpretation I still wasn't sure, but could see were his interpretation could be valid given the context of much of the prior discussions. Now that you've clarified them, I can see where you were coming from.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
@tcmtech

You respond to posts as you see fit and leave the questionable ones to the moderators?

You leave your personal life out of the equation and only answer the ones you deem relevant, ignore the rest.

It's not rocket science?
Well yes pretty much. If something is of no concern to me I have have near zero reason to respond to it and to be honest not a lot here ever really peaks my interests in the terms of me feeling insulted or such.

If it peaks my interest enough then yes I will respond good or bad. Personal blah blah blah or whatever goes where ever it goes. Referencing it for analogical examples is very much apart of me and who I am so I see no need to leave it out. ;)

I am not sure how to quantify human interaction but everything I have learned about it strongly suggests that rocket science would be easier to grasp being rocket science operates on fundamental laws of physics whereas human interaction has a huge amount of emotional and personal experience based bias that can not be defined by any rational sciences. :p

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
............Not everyone gets the same out of what they read as everyone else..............
I do not agree. The majority of the truly negative people I see on this forum are extremely self-indulgent with a good mount of contempt and arrogance thrown in. Their self bestowed god-hood allows them to displace the rules they agreed to, with their own ad hoc meanderings.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I do not agree. The majority of the truly negative people I see on this forum are extremely self-indulgent with a good mount of contempt and arrogance thrown in. Their self bestowed god-hood allows them to displace the rules they agreed to, with their own ad hoc meanderings.
The way I read that, you just agreed with TCM.:confused:
Is it true that I did not receive what you sent?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I don't know if this will help or hinder the discussion, but let's admit that, whatever some ToS or UA says, it is flat impossible to craft a black and white standard that applies to all situations all the time. It frequently comes down to judgment calls made by human beings. Those judgments are not made in a vacuum, either. It is not just what is said in one particular post that is considered, but a lot of other factors come into play. What has that person said in the past (primarily the recent past), what is the general type of interaction like, what is their general attitude like. It also has to do with factors beyond that member such as what is the general atmosphere of the thread or of the forum or of AAC at that time. Some of these are consciously considered (and sometimes consciously removed from consideration) and other times they just form the context in which we, as human beings, try to make the best decisions we can.

I can pretty much guarantee most of you that if you watched all the behind the scenes stuff you would see plenty of times that we have NOT deleted reported posts because we didn't believe doing so was appropriate, despite having recently deleted other posts by that same member and sometimes despite the general consensus being that the member in question is likely headed for a ban at some point.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I can pretty much guarantee most of you that if you watched all the behind the scenes stuff you would see plenty of times that we have NOT deleted reported posts because we didn't believe doing so was appropriate, despite having recently deleted other posts by that same member and sometimes despite the general consensus being that the member in question is likely headed for a ban at some point.
If anything, my respect for the moderators in this place has only grown with time. I didn't realize at first how much of your personal time, dedication and, truth being told, hard work, is spent here. And to make things heftier, those efforts are sometimes met with blatant ingratitude.

If everyone here were to keep their (our) egoes in check and do their (our) best to keep a proactive attitude, then this place would attain its full potential and change the lives of many for the better.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The way I read that, you just agreed with TCM.:confused:
Is it true that I did not receive what you sent?
Kinda what I got from it as well but I do openly admit to being an english class flunkie.

tmctech is talking about people sensitivities, and I am talking about some peoples negative mind sets. Am I being dense??
Good point. No I was not talking about people's generally negative attitudes and the like but yes that plays a big part in how some will read most anything posted. I am more of an optimist so I tend to take things with little insult and when I do perceive there to be such I still give the benefit of the doubt to whether I have read it correctly or to whether the person worded things as clearly or effectively as they could.

Unless the wording specifically singles me out and directs the insult at me I tend to just shrug it off as it probably isn't me they are talking to or about. However given some people's continual fussI get the strong feeling that they both read a lot into what is not there and take a lot to be aimed at them even when it's not.

Personally whenever I go online I have this playing through my mind.

My ego could never accept my online presence to be anything less. :p

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Over the last few days where everyone here has been subjected to a CRAPSTORM,
Cripes. I must have skin like an armored tank because I haven't seen any of this to be much than the usual light pee drizzle that seems to happen on most every forum once or twice a year. :oops:

If you really want to see a crapstorm go hang out in a forum that runs a open unlimited unmoderated politics section when someones ego and belief systems gets rubbed the wrong way. :eek:
If you can't shrug off emotion and ego driven 50 caliber hail fire like like it's a light rain you don't have what it takes to play there. :p

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
.............If you can't shrug off emotion and ego driven 50 caliber hail fire like like it's a light rain you don't have what it takes to play there. :p
................It's an electronics forum at the end of the day and can do without all this s**t.
I have what it takes to be here. tcmtech, I dig your banter. I just do not like the true A.H.s that have slithered into this forum.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I have what it takes to be here. tcmtech, I dig your banter. I just do not like the true A.H.s that have slithered into this forum.
With some I think it's largely an age and lack of hard life experiences thing. I know what little maturity and tack I have learned over the years took a good deal of getting my head busted in by others who knew better than what I thought I knew.:oops:

Personally that's where I don't like seeing over moderation coming into play. By our own nature sometimes we need to have our peers slap the smug out of us while everyone else watches to help us grow up the right way and come to that understanding of the whats and wheres of our limitations and actions.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
With some I think it's largely an age and lack of hard life experiences thing. I know what little maturity and tack I have learned over the years took a good deal of getting my head busted in by others who knew better than what I thought I knew.:oops:

Personally that's where I don't like seeing over moderation coming into play. By our own nature sometimes we need to have our peers slap the smug out of us while everyone else watches to help us grow up the right way and come to that understanding of the whats and wheres of our limitations and actions.
It's called "tough love" ... but in this place I'll call it "tough friendship"... to tone it down a bit :D