being a good communicator is essential

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Hi

I need your advice. As you know being a good communicator is essential for every job these days. What is unfortunate is that in many
universities little importance is given to cultivate skills in the students which make them good communicator. This is more true of the area where I live. I have seen many students who have degrees but they are not good at communication. I, myself, am also not a good communicator. I'm sure many of them would be good in their respective technological fields. But a poor communicator person is like a computer which can be helpful but don't know how to express itself. And further one shouldn't blame them for being a bad communicator. The problem is multi-dimensional. Some of them come from backgrounds which don't give them much opportunity to improve themselves 'culturally'.

Please also have a look here.

What can I do to make myself a good communicator? Are there any books which can recommend? Please help me. Thanks.

Regards
PG

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Communications also includes writing well. There are lots of self-help books on how to write well. I remember one from Malcom Forbes that I liked and distributed to my employees about 25 years ago.

One of the biggest problems with writers is they don't know how to come to the point quickly. This is exacerbated by the horrible skills taught in academia -- it took me over 20 years to unlearn the stilted style I learned as a grad student and get rid of all those $20 college-boy words. Write simply and get your message across quickly -- respect your readers' time.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
What is your concept of 'communicating', is it presenting or negotiating? The big difference is that in one case one listens, in the other they don't. I've been before a number of great presenters, one thing is common is that they ask that you remain silent and ask questions at the end of the presentation, where the presenter turns that over to someone else. I've also had the pleasure of negotiating contracts, where you need to listen closely to what the needs of the other party really are.

'Communicating' is a two way activity, and there are two skills that you require, listening carefully, and speaking the language of your audience.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
For a real learning experience on how not to communicate, just start following American politics. Starting with all the Debt Ceiling crap it should be seen that they have a LOT to learn ;)

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Is post #1 just a spam post to make people try that link?

I can't check the link becuase it's some weird Java thing.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Stop being so down on yourself. You communicate just as well as I do, and this makes me question whether I am good communicator. so stop it.

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
Thank you, everyone.

Is post #1 just a spam post to make people try that link?

I can't check the link becuase it's some weird Java thing.
It's a Google Doc. If for some reason you can't access it, then it doesn't mean it's a spam post. And the document was uploaded by myself.

Stop being so down on yourself. You communicate just as well as I do, and this makes me question whether I am good communicator. so stop it.
I'm not being down on myself. Thank you for saying that I communicate well although I don't know the source of your information! Perhaps, you think that I can communicate well in writing. Actually, my aim was know from other people that how one can communicate well in all sorts of communicate in, let's say, work environment. I hope it's clear now.

Regards
PG

djiang83

Joined Jun 14, 2011
PG1995, if want want to learn to communicate more effectively, you may want to find your local community college and see if they offer any interpersonal communication (sometimes called speech) classes. I know that two of my local colleges offer both interpersonal and business communication classes that are equal parts theory and practice. Even better, a lot of these classes are being offered during the evening for working professionals.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It's a Google Doc. If for some reason you can't access it, then it doesn't mean it's a spam post. And the document was uploaded by myself.
In the interest of good communication, I wasn't accusing you but was asking a question. And I did not imply that the post might be spam because it would not load I implied that the post might be spam as it dit not seem relevant to electronics in any way AND posted a link.

There is a spambot getting around that posts a paragraph of randomish text and a link, attempting to get people to go to the link. If it seemed I was accusing you please accept my apology, I just made a quick post questioning whether it might be spam.

Re the google documents, if you want to post a document consisting of words there is already an extremely standard, established and safe format. It's called a .TXT file. :)

Getting back on topic now, your communication in this thread seems pretty good apart from some minor grammar issues which I had assumed might be from hurried typing. Is English a second language to you?

PG1995

Joined Apr 15, 2011
In the interest of good communication, I wasn't accusing you but was asking a question. And I did not imply that the post might be spam because it would not load I implied that the post might be spam as it dit not seem relevant to electronics in any way AND posted a link.

There is a spambot getting around that posts a paragraph of randomish text and a link, attempting to get people to go to the link. If it seemed I was accusing you please accept my apology, I just made a quick post questioning whether it might be spam.

Re the google documents, if you want to post a document consisting of words there is already an extremely standard, established and safe format. It's called a .TXT file. :)

Getting back on topic now, your communication in this thread seems pretty good apart from some minor grammar issues which I had assumed might be from hurried typing. Is English a second language to you?
Hi RB

No worries. Actually that Google doc was a PDF from an electronics e-book. It was about communication skills. The author has said there that the technology industry has usually complained that the staff, such as engineers etc, they hire are not good communicators.

By the way, I genuinely appreciate your reply and it shows world is still full of nice people who care about others' feeling. Although I was not offended by your previous post.

Yes, English is my second language, rather third!:)

With best wishes
PG

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
If English is not your first language then your communication skills are good! There is a disturbing trend even with young people born in English speaking communities to use really poor communications, personally I blame "txt speak" and lazyness...

And the fact that the information age has produces a whole generation of brats who are spoiled, and expect everything easily handed to them rather that putting in any effort themselves... Actually I'm probably part of that problem as I've done a lot of work and given it away for free on the net. Anyway I'm getting off topic, sorry for that. :)