Beginning with microcontrollers

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by asulikeit, Sep 15, 2013.

1. asulikeit

Thread Starter New Member

May 1, 2012
    Hey I just received a Texas Instruments MSP430 launch pad as a gift and have basically no idea about what to do with it. But I really want to learn. I have no prior knowledge about programming but do have some basics in digital electronics. Any suggestions about how to begin?

2. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    You can always start with MrChips tutorial here

nurul mia and asulikeit like this.
  3. Austin Clark

Dec 28, 2011
    I received one of those a long time ago as a gift as well. It was only about 2 years later, after having worked a tad with Arduino and ATMEL microcontrollers, that I came back to it and realized what it was and how to use it. It's actually not much different than an Arduino. In fact, one of the IDEs that you can use with it looks almost EXACTLY like the arduino's, and even shares most of it's code.
    It can be found here: http://energia.nu/download/

I glanced at MrChips tutorial and although it looks good, I'd still recommend learning how to use it with Energia first. It's much simpler, and doesn't lay on too much at once.
    I haven't used mine much because I have an Arduino Mega and about half a dozen ATMEGA328's. So I can't really recommend any specific tutorial series.

asulikeit likes this.
  4. asulikeit

Thread Starter New Member

May 1, 2012
    I'm sorry but as I said Im a beginner and so couldn't follow you completely. I googled IDE and but couldn't form a very good idea. Could you explain it in simple terms? And yes, if its not too much to ask can you give me a bigger picture about microcontrollers that I should keep in mind while redaing the tutorials which I will this weekend. Thanks :)

nurul mia likes this.
  5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

IDE stands for : Integrated Development Environment
    It can be the software where the programs for the microcontroller are developed and tested.
    Most times there is a tool inside the IDE to program the microcontroller (using the programmer if needed).

Bertus

nurul mia likes this.
  6. RRITESH KAKKAR

Jun 29, 2010