Beginners Project Help - PSU or Cable tester?

Still Learning

Joined Jul 19, 2010
Hi.
I'm new here and to the world of electronics, and I'm wondering what would be a good project to start me off on? I do understand the basics and have been pulling things apart all my life to see how they work. I'm into music and would love to make my own FX Pedals and audio equipment..

I'm reading a text book called "Teach Yourself Electricity/Electronics" and it's really good, but when it talks about components it doesn't really go into much detail about what they do/how they go into a circuit.. I'm also using this website as a x-reference when I get stuck, and it's fantastic!

I want to have a schematic to look at like making a Variable bench PSU or a Cable Tester. In other words; something I can actually get some use out of once it's completed..

I know a bit about use of transformers and rectifiers, but won't touch them 'till I'm sure I won't kill myself, but a PSU seems easy from looking at some schematics? If anyone has a schematic for a Cable tester that does both XLR and TS/TRS plugs together would be great too?

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Well you have chosen a good ne to start with. A power supply will be the most useful thing you can make.

With regard to not touching it until you know you won't kill yourself you will never touch it. I have been a tech for over 30 years and still get nervous when I play with mains. It hurts.

Still Learning

Joined Jul 19, 2010
wow, you've been shocked a few times? Not cool!
Thanks mate, I'll start looking into them a bit further then and take my time. A few guys I work with are good at this stuff, might get some tips from them too.

Any suggestions on the most common Variable PSU output voltages/Amperes? I see they range quite a bit? I was thinking from 3V to 15V? Is it better to leave it AC and just use rectifiers in projects, or convert to DC in the box and use a simple Pin type plug?

tw34kd

Joined Jul 17, 2010
Are you planning to make it from scratch?

From what i understand its common to use a modified desktop computer power supply for hobby applications. Mine has done me well the last few years and i plan to build a new one soon with a little more patience for aesthetics this time.

Id be willing to give a bit of assistance if your in need.

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Firstly getting shocked is not nice. I DO NOT recomend it to anyone. Guess thats why I have grey hair. My first electric shock was at the age of 2. Second at the age of 9.

Right. Now on to the important stuff. I would suggest a PSU that can go from 0 to 30V. Possibly start with low current, maybe up to 2A. Of course one that can supply about 5 or 6A would be more useful.

You don't need an AC only one and rely on the project to sort out the DC. It is always good to have the DC supply to test the project and sort out its AC PSU at a later date especially if you are worried about that shocking experience you WILL have. Make your nice safe variable DC PSU and test all your projects that way you will not have to worry about zapping yourself. Once you have proved your design you can add your PSU to it. If you are smart and try and stick to a similar voltage for your projects you can reuse the same design for your PSU over and over.

Good luck. You WILL enjoy yourself.

Still Learning

Joined Jul 19, 2010
30V 5/6Amp sounds good.
Any ideas which transformer to use, as I understand you drop voltage across the rectifier by about .7V per diode? I'm in Australia too, by the way, so 240V mains.

Wondering if you know of a good detailed schematic for something like this, or a better webpage with some on it? All I can find is 12V, with not many values in between, and definitely not with a decent Parts list?