Beginner question on schematics

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by ltadrian, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ltadrian

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 13, 2015
    Hi all, this is my first post and I am currently in need of some help. These are probably easy questions to answer but I just need some reassurance that I am on the right path. So I am soldering my first perfboard and I am following this schematic attached to this post.

For the rpieffectboc.png schematic I am just confused with this whole thing. I understand whats going on to a bare minimum. What throws me off are all of the wire connections like the two at the top left. How do I go about connecting two wires while also having go into a different direction like he does for "To raspberry pi pin 6 (GND)". I can't picture what that looks like. Is it three wires? Also how do I know which color wires to use? I bought this pack of wires from radioshack and I am not really too sure if these are the right wires for perfboards
    http://www.radioshack.com/75-ft-ul-recognized-hookup-wire-22awg/2781224.html#q=wire+red+green&start=4

Thanks for your help if you can help guide me in the right direction. I am working on this project and I kinda need it done by the end of the weekend :(

2. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    First, the color is irrelevant except you might want to color code your connections based on their function. Like, all ground connections are made with black wire. All power connections are made with red wire. All other connections are green.

The connections you referred to can be thought of (and wired) as three wires. One to the pin 6, one to the resistor, and one to the chip.

Hope this is helpful.

3. ltadrian

Mar 13, 2015
    Yes this does clear up the confusion for now! Thanks!

4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Note that when you have one wire going to two or more locations you can daisy-chain them to minimize wire length.

5. ltadrian

Mar 13, 2015
    If the wire doesn't fit into the holes of the perf board is it possible I could just keep stripping the raw wire until it fits?

6. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Do you mean one wire doesn't fit into the hole? Please clarify.

Most likely the answer is no. Don't do that. You'll weaken the connection and it may fail at a later time. You may not want to hear this, but if one wire can't fit into the hole, you need thinner wire. Read about wire gauge. 28 gauge wire is thinner than 22 gauge; the higher the number, the thinner the wire.

If the perfboard is not copper clad, you can enlarge the holes. If it is copper clad, you may be able to solder the wire by laying it on the board across the hole.

7. ltadrian

Mar 13, 2015
    I bought some thinner wires at radioshack, so hopefully that works

8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If it is mainly circuit jumpers across perf/strip board etc, buy some single strand telephone wire or Cat5 single strand cable Home Depot etc, ideal as jumpers.
    Max.