Beginner needs help with transistors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jhsmith87, Oct 4, 2012.

1. jhsmith87

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 4, 2012
    hi every one, first off this is my first post here. i am new to electronics, but very interested. i am trying to learn about it as much as possible, at a hands on type approach. so after i seen it, i really wanted to build a bedini motor. the only problem is the circuit.
    if any one is familiar with it, you will know this but it needs a very fast switching transistor. i am very far from any where that sells electronics, so i use scrap parts, (witch i have a lot of) i got a lot from a few older computers (2005).
    any way i was looking up the numbers on these transistors, and found one that is called a schottky rectifier if i am correct. it is marked wc2401. i have read that it is fast switching. but the name rectifier is throwing me off.
    so can some one please explain to me more about this thing, and if i could use it in the bedini motor.
    also in the computer i seen a 45N03L transistor and was wondering what that was used for.
    and if some one knows about the bedini motor any info you could give me would be helpful.

P.S. i forgot i have a reed switch, but it kinda confuses me. as it has 4 pins, 3 on one side and 1 on the other side. i'd rather not use the reed switch on the bedini but would still like to know how to hook it up, since it has 4 pins, i know basically how it works just not how to hook it up.
    sorry for the long post.
    thanks alot for any help.

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Sorry, we generally don't support the design of perpetual motion (free energy) schemes on this forum. They are a waste of time and energy (both yours and ours). If you insist on pursuing that, you need to find a Free Energy Forum.

A reed relay has two leads for the contacts and two leads for the operating coil. The resistance between the two to the coil should have some finite resistance. The contact leads should should show a low resistance short (most likely) or open.

3. jhsmith87

Oct 4, 2012
    o no, i think you misunderstood me. i in no way am trying to make a "free energy" device haha.. i just simply am trying to make that motor because of how interesting i found it, a somewhat simple circuit sends a pulse to a coil witch in turn spins the motor. i just thought it would be a neat project to work on, since i like building electric motors, am trying to learn how to build a brushless one, and it claims to have a simple circuit.

but on your info on the reed switch. i am not quite clear. the pins look like this from the bottom, please forgive this "drawing"

-
    - -
    -

and do you have any info on the transistors? if needed i can post a good quality pic showing the markings on them.

4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    A Google search showed nothing on the wc2401 (a Schottky rectifier is a diode, not a transistor). I did find this for the 45N03L. Google will ususally find info on unknown parts, if it is available.

You have to measure the terminals of the reed relay with an ohmmeter to determine which is which as I indicated in my first post.

5. jhsmith87

Oct 4, 2012
    i did google the one that you said was a resistor and i seen that as well. although, i did see it say ultra fast switching... dont know how a resistor would do that, witch is why i was confused and why i asked here.
    do you know anything about that?

6. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    I said it was a diode. :confused:

Schottky diodes have no recovery time so are very fast switching (going from conduction to non-conducting when the voltge across them is reversed).