Beginner-- Microcontroller

cpleng7

Joined Dec 18, 2008
I new in this microcontroller area can anyone suggest what software and what hardware i need to use?

any book for me to refer?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I new in this microcontroller area can anyone suggest what software and what hardware i need to use?

any book for me to refer?
The PIC versus AVR debate has been carried out in this forum on numerous occasions. Follow the link PIC versus AVR to one of the more lengthy dsicussions.

If you are budget conscious as most beginners typically are, you would do well to take a serious look at ATMEL's AVR series. Right now for absolutely no money (FREE) you can download ATMEL's AVRSTUDIO4 (Assembly language and Integrated Development Environment) and WINAVR (the C-Language compiler add-in to AVRSTUDIO4). These software development tools are full-featured and ready to use.

The nice thing about the family of AVR 8-bit microcontrollers from ATMEL is that if you get familiar with any one of the devices you will know them all since they are all based on the same CPU core. The only difference between the microcontrollers in the family are the internal features (i.e. UART, TIMER, etc) and the size of the Flash Memory (Program Memory), Static RAM, and EEPROM memory space.

You can't go wrong whether you choose PIC or AVR. You will still have a lot of fun once you get the basics figured out. I would encourage you to waste no time moving ahead with your interest in programming microcontrollers since there is a world of applications out there just waiting to be undertaken.

Have Fun,
hgmjr

cpleng7

Joined Dec 18, 2008
thank you for you two suggestion,

but i am very new in this area, I have download Mplab and proteus software, is that can use in this PIC area?