Beginner in microcontrollers requiring some help

southwest

Joined Apr 2, 2012
Hi all,

I am a graduate in the field of VLSI. Recently, I got a job offer from an embedded company and they have given me a task, wherein I need to design a Memory card reader using STM32F103 Development board. I use Keil μvision 4.03. Any help people as to where to start.

Also one more thing, Which book would be the best place to start for both Embedded and Microcontrollers??

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

southwest

Joined Apr 2, 2012
Also could someone please explain as to why I keep getting
"Load "C:\\Keil\\ARM\\Examples\\ST\\STM32F10xUSBLib\\Demos\\Audio_Speaker\\project\\Obj\\STM3210B-EVAL.AXF"
*** error 56: cant open file"
error

There is a file in the above specified folder called "STM3210B-EVAL.AXF"

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
If the file truly exists where the path points you might want to try moving the project closer to the root. Seems many tools are stuck with deep DOS roots and do not like anything but 8.3 filenames, or folders with spaces, or a fully qualified path larger then 128 (or even 64) characters long.

southwest

Joined Apr 2, 2012
If the file truly exists where the path points you might want to try moving the project closer to the root. Seems many tools are stuck with deep DOS roots and do not like anything but 8.3 filenames, or folders with spaces, or a fully qualified path larger then 128 (or even 64) characters long.
Thanks for the suggestion Ernie, but unfortunately even that's not helping.

Now I tried running some sample codes which comes along with the Keil software. I followed the instructions provided in the PDF (which comes with the software), which instructed me to compile the sample project, USB_HID. After compiling (successfully), the PDF instructed me to download the executable file onto the Flash memory of the microcontroller board. After this the device is supposed to appear in the device manager, but unfortunately it doesn't appear. I am trying to figure out what is happening? Any help

southwest

Joined Apr 2, 2012
Jumping into a USB_HID demo is a leap of faith.
Why not begin with something simple such as flash an LED?
I know that Mr. Chips, and thank you all for the response. I have started to work on LED among other projects. Nevertheless I still need to get my work started on USB.

I am new to USB, can I get some help as to where to begin if i need to interface USB with my STM32F103 kit. Where should I begin??

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
you may start by telling which exact STM32F103 Development board you have, there is more than one. preferably post link to datasheet or manual. if this is really development kit, it will have a cd with some files on it and probably many examples, or at least they should be on manufacturers website. did you check it?

southwest

Joined Apr 2, 2012
STM32F103RBT6 is the Development board I have. There are examples and stuff, which I did check. But I would really like to know a few things about USB in general, before I start working on this project. Right now, I ran a few sample projects which came along with the kit, but I have not learnt anything much from it. I want to know about the basics of USB.
What do the Endpoint registers do?? How do I assign them?? Basic stuff such as that.

U32 USB_ReadEP (U32 EPNum, U8 *pData) {
/* Double Buffering is not yet supported */
U32 num, cnt, *pv, n;

num = EPNum & 0x0F;

pv = (U32 *)(USB_PMA_ADDR + 2*((pBUF_DSCR + num)->ADDR_RX));
cnt = (pBUF_DSCR + num)->COUNT_RX & EP_COUNT_MASK;
for (n = 0; n < (cnt + 1) / 2; n++) {
*((__packed U16 *)pData) = *pv++;
pData += 2;
}
EP_Status(EPNum, EP_RX_VALID);

return (cnt);
}
Codings like the one above confuses me. That's why I was asking for help with USB basics. That's why I had posted the message

I am new to USB, can I get some help as to where to begin if i need to interface USB with my STM32F103 kit. Where should I begin?