Beginner - Advice for a motorized spinning saucer

Colleen

Joined Oct 26, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am a beginner in electronics, and am on motorizing a spinning saucer for use in our lab. I'm just getting started and I would greatly appreciate advice on how to select parts based on our needs. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out what kind of motor and motion sensor to get.

What we have is a plastic saucer that can spin horizontally around a vertical axel. I want to redesign it so:
1. it can be moved by a motor in both directions (clockwise and counterclockwise).
2. it can still spin freely when the motor is off.
3. its speed and direction of movement can be measured (whether the motor is on or off)

I've read up on the different options, but am not well versed in electronics yet. If anyone has any advice on the type of motor I should select (brushless and slotless, to allow free spinning?), that would be greatly appreciated! Also, for measuring speed and direction, I'm thinking of using an optical incremental encoder, but I'm not sure whether it could be linked to the motor and still measure speed during free spinning, or whether I should connect it elsewhere.

Extra specifications:
1. The load the motor would have to move would be considered relatively small I think (moving up to 100g on a plastic saucer).
2. There is a good chance the motor would be off a lot (so a lot of free spinning). However, when it is used, it would have to be possible to turn in on and off fairly quickly.
3. If it's not possible to have a motor that moves the saucer in both directions and free spins, I would want to be able to move the saucer in one direction, but free spin in the reverse direction (or both directions).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Do let me know if there's important info I didn't specify!
Thanks,
Colleen