Bearing Questions for DC Brushless Motor

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes. Very interesting that the shell bearings can survive pounding better than balls or rollers because the oil film acts as a hydraulic cushion.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
A little googling comes up with lead-indium being a harder alloy than lead-tin. Used for a (better) surface on the rod bearings in a car engine.
IIRC lead-tin shells rely heavily on significant copper inclusions for load bearing capacity.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
White metal usually another name for a soft aluminum like alloy, probably with Zinc, and is totally different from the first three.
Max.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
White metal usually another name for a soft aluminum like alloy, probably with Zinc, and is totally different from the first three.
Max.
Around here there are casting places that do "white metal casting" almost always a zinc or "pot metal" process. Aluminum casting is mostly not called "white metal" in the trade.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I must live a sheltered life. The only time I heard of, "white metal" was while reading a chemistry book about the properties of the elements.

Personally, I learned about tool steel, mild steel, aluminum, cast iron, 4130 chrome-moly steel, silver, nickel, titanium, etc. Perhaps that was because I refused to settle for, "It's white".

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Drill rod/O1 is called "silver steel", I'm pretty sure, in the UK.
Isn't drill rod HSS (high speed steel)?

The term "silver steel" is normally used for a special steel that resists corrosion and is easy to machine, used by modellers to make toy steam engines and stuff.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
When I came to N.A. from the UK, I was told that S.S. was the same as drill rod.
Similar hardness value and properties.
Max.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Drill rod is a name for a high carbon steel. Usually in two different classes, O1 or W1. O1 is oil hardening, W1 is water hardening. The oil and water is the quenching medium in the heat treat process.

And to further confuse things, it doesn't always need to be a round rod. It can be square or rectangular in shape.

And they don't, or haven't for a long, long time, make drills from it. HSS(high speed steel) is what most drills are made from, a totally different type of tool steel.

And SS(stainless steel or inox in EU) is another totally different steel. And though most people will tell you SS won't rust, there are some types that can and do rust. The rustable types are usually used in high heat situations.