BCD to Decimal decoder

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jpanhalt, Oct 13, 2008.

1. jpanhalt

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    BCD to decimal decoders are common, but the ones I have looked at all have logic high/low states. Is there such a decoder that instead has a high-impedance (i.e., open) state and low state?

John

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The high-impedance state is intended to isolate the logic element from the system. What would be the point?

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Open collector?

4. jpanhalt

Jan 18, 2008
    Bill,
    Open collector will work, I think. Is there a family that is open collector?

Beenthere,

At an abstract level, one can have: yes, no, and don't know/doesn't matter.

At a concrete level, I am playing with a set of resistors to make a digitally selectable output for a voltage regulator. The schematic has been shown on this forum. This is from the ST L200 datasheet:

[​IMG]

That works easily with, say, 4 discrete values. I want to select voltages between 22 V and 12 V in 0.1 V steps. An ovbious way to do that is with BCD thumbwheel switch and BCD to decimal decoder on the board. By using either transistors or blocking diodes, I think I can get it done, but an open collector type of logic chip would make it easier.

John

5. jpanhalt

Jan 18, 2008
    After morning coffee, I was inspired to do more searching. It appears the SN74145, 54145, and 74LS145 are open collector.

Any others?

John