battery wiring

superway

Joined Oct 19, 2009
Hello,

Enclosed is my battery wiring drawing.
If I turn CB 1 to on, I will get 12V, then turn off.
If I turn CB 2 to on, I will get 24 V, then turn off
If I turn CB 3 to on, get 36V, then off
If I turn CB 4 to on, get 48V, then off.

There are 4 batteries that connect in series and each wire is connect to each CB and all together coming to one terminal + and this will feed into the unit.

One thing that I am worry is if both CB 1 and CB 2 turn on at the same time, or CB 2 and CB 3 turn on at the same time..., so the battery will explore.

Does anyone have any idea how to re-draw it or add some parts in order to make sure the battery bank is safety if someone accidently turn on both CBs to on at the same time.

Thanks,

Ken

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The drawing is not centered in the PDF file, so the right side got chopped off. I can't tell what the "CB" are supposed to be, are they just switches?

You don't need to create a .pdf file. .png files work even better on here, as you don't need any other software other than a web browser to view them.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, if two CB's are turned on accidentally, they should trip immediately.

Other than that, you would either need another arrangement such as a battery selector switch, or some kind of physical intervention on the other three CB's if one was already engaged.

What's the purpose of connecting the batteries this way?

superway

Joined Oct 19, 2009
Thanks Sgtwookie, batt. selector switch is good one but it has to be a big selector switch and has 4 rotary positions.
the purpose of this batt. bank is used to test for inverter power supply unit of 12v or 24v or 36v or 48v model.

thanks

superway

Joined Oct 19, 2009
I will connect a DC supply 48V/50A accross the battery connection. In order to charge batteries, i will turn CB 4 (48V) to on and adjust DC supply to charge the batteries.

Ken

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Unless all the series batteries are the same capacity and about the same rate of discharge you are going to ruin them in no time with a series recharging system. You will need to recharge each battery on it's own because your testing will create an unbalance in charges and will wind up reversing charge on a cell or two destroying that battery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_battery#Reverse_charging

Last edited:

superway

Joined Oct 19, 2009
to charge all batteries, I will connect a DC power supply 48V/50A accross the batteries, turn CB 4 (48V) to on and adjust the DC power supply to
54 vdc to charge all batteries. That is only way I can charge the batteries.

Thanks

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I am in complete agreement with nsapook; you will wind up with all of the batteries destroyed in a very short period of time.

We are just trying to save you from ruining your batteries unnecessarily, and having to spend lots of money on replacement batteries.

If you decide to ignore the advice, do not blame the batteries when they fail long before their time, as it will not be the fault of the manufacturer or the batteries.