battery top up

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by allballgames, Jan 8, 2012.

  1. allballgames

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jan 8, 2012
    3
    0
    Hi ,I am using a lead acid to pull my golf trolley . I have not managed to make previous batteries last very long ,say 4 to 12 months,so I am watching this one like a hawk.It seems to need topping up very often every 3 weeks or so.It does not leak.I use distilled water ,can I continue to top it up indefinitely or will I dilute the electrolyte too far eventually.
    Thanks Mike B
     
  2. Adjuster

    Well-Known Member

    Dec 26, 2010
    2,147
    300
    Non-sealed lead-acid batteries will always consume some water due to electrolysis, when the battery "gasses" (bubbles) during charging, particularly towards the end of each session.

    This process only decomposes water, not acid, so in principle it is possible to continue adding water indefinitely to restore the balance. A small amount of acid may be lost by spraying if the gassing is really vigorous, but normally this will be insignificant

    If the water consumption is excessive, it is possible that the battery is being charged more than necessary. On the whole, overcharging is less damaging than not charging enough, but if taken too far may lead to overheating, or at any rate faster wearing out of the positive plates.

    You may get an idea if the battery is overcharging by measuring its voltage on charge. This may get to ~2.4V per cell near the end of charging, but should not be held there long-term. Also check if it is getting hot - warm is okay during a fairly fast charge, but it should not be feeling hot, nor left for days on a high enough current to keep it even warm.

    Also listen for the fizzing noise of gassing. A fair period of this at the end of a charge may be OK, but it should not go on bubbling hard for hours and hours.

    This reference may help: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_the_lead_acid_battery
     
  3. crutschow

    Expert

    Mar 14, 2008
    13,016
    3,235
    I agree with Adjuster that it sounds like the battery is being overcharged. You should be using a smart charger that will drop to a trickle-charge when it senses the battery is fully charged.
     
  4. allballgames

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jan 8, 2012
    3
    0
    thanks to both ,as I stated I am watching it closely ,and using a smart charger.When it changes from red to green I disconnect,so it is getting the best optimal charge I can give it qand if I reconnect after a few days say if the weather is too bad for golf,then it goes to green in a few mins ,so it is holding its charge very well
    regs Mike B
     
  5. bountyhunter

    Well-Known Member

    Sep 7, 2009
    2,498
    507
    If it burns water that fast, you are either overcharging it or over drawing current from it. You are boiling out the water somehow.

    Lead acid batteries die very quickly if they are deep discharged. They are not intended for that kind of usage.
     
  6. crutschow

    Expert

    Mar 14, 2008
    13,016
    3,235
    Are the batteries designed for golf trolley use? Are they the deep cycle type? The standard automotive type battery will not last long in a deep discharge application.
     
  7. allballgames

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jan 8, 2012
    3
    0
    no its not a deep cycle battery, I didn't get the necessary advice from the supplier
     
Loading...