Battery Tab Welder....From a Better source

Bruno Molly

Joined Feb 14, 2010
New to this Forum, Stumbled upon a couple of t threads about building a Battery tab welder from a Junked Microwave, or Capacitor / SCR etc. Those are all good but I already have a Rivet Stud Welder that works Great for what it was intended to do...I want to know if anyone have ever used one to make a Makeshift spot welder or Battery Tab Welder. I dont want to spend a whole lotta time building a Tab welder when I can use what I have if it will work. Has anyone here ever made a Battery Tab welder from a Rivet Spot welder? In theory I'm thinking it should work. All I need to do Weld some Tabs to a Battery pack that I am rebuilding. Fittment is Tight as I have already Bundled the NiCads but need a Thin strip welded to them so that I can charge the Group inside the original Scanner Battery pack enclosure...Then I'll probably never weld another battery in my life....This is why I don't really want the hassle of hunting down parts, and building something I'll only use once or so.
thanks

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The reason behind using the capacitor-discharge method, is for a short-strong burst. If your rivet-welder uses a slow-heat method, It may be too-long for the batteries.

How long does the rivet welding process take with your welder? More than a "one-one-thousand" count?

If you want to test it, Don't try on a LiIon. Try on a dead alkaline For a test.

You can also solder tinned copper braid to chain the batteries together.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@Bruno Molly

Solder the tabs. Clean the NiCd (I use a Dremel grinding wheel), pre-tin, then solder. Use a large iron so you can do it quickly. Mine is 40W for that purpose.

John

Bruno Molly

Joined Feb 14, 2010
Ha!! Worked like a charm!! Thanks all for the Ideas! Since this is a low current application, Welding isn't needed. I was able to dremel the battery ends and Flux/tin them. Tabs soldered on Nicely. Shoehorn fit but I got the case back together and my scanner has run for 2 days no stop without having to charge it. Using 6 1.2v NiMH in a uniden scanner. I could never get more than an hour or 2 out of this thing... Thanks all! I've found a New home here. Nice Tinkering forum. I have access to a scrap metal yard where big companies ditch production machinery....AC / DC variable Freq Drives, Motors, all kinds of stuff. I see Microwaves ditched there almost Everyday that i go out there looking for steel. You guys let me know what to look out for if you need anything.

-=Molly