Battery Tab Welder....From a Better source

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Bruno Molly, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Bruno Molly

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    New to this Forum, Stumbled upon a couple of t threads about building a Battery tab welder from a Junked Microwave, or Capacitor / SCR etc. Those are all good but I already have a Rivet Stud Welder that works Great for what it was intended to do...I want to know if anyone have ever used one to make a Makeshift spot welder or Battery Tab Welder. I dont want to spend a whole lotta time building a Tab welder when I can use what I have if it will work. Has anyone here ever made a Battery Tab welder from a Rivet Spot welder? In theory I'm thinking it should work. All I need to do Weld some Tabs to a Battery pack that I am rebuilding. Fittment is Tight as I have already Bundled the NiCads but need a Thin strip welded to them so that I can charge the Group inside the original Scanner Battery pack enclosure...Then I'll probably never weld another battery in my life....This is why I don't really want the hassle of hunting down parts, and building something I'll only use once or so.
    thanks

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
  3. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    The reason behind using the capacitor-discharge method, is for a short-strong burst. If your rivet-welder uses a slow-heat method, It may be too-long for the batteries.

How long does the rivet welding process take with your welder? More than a "one-one-thousand" count?

If you want to test it, Don't try on a LiIon. Try on a dead alkaline For a test.

You can also solder tinned copper braid to chain the batteries together.

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    @Bruno Molly

Solder the tabs. Clean the NiCd (I use a Dremel grinding wheel), pre-tin, then solder. Use a large iron so you can do it quickly. Mine is 40W for that purpose.

John

5. Bruno Molly

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Ha!! Worked like a charm!! Thanks all for the Ideas! Since this is a low current application, Welding isn't needed. I was able to dremel the battery ends and Flux/tin them. Tabs soldered on Nicely. Shoehorn fit but I got the case back together and my scanner has run for 2 days no stop without having to charge it. Using 6 1.2v NiMH in a uniden scanner. I could never get more than an hour or 2 out of this thing... Thanks all! I've found a New home here. Nice Tinkering forum. I have access to a scrap metal yard where big companies ditch production machinery....AC / DC variable Freq Drives, Motors, all kinds of stuff. I see Microwaves ditched there almost Everyday that i go out there looking for steel. You guys let me know what to look out for if you need anything.

-=Molly

6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Glad it worked for you.

I'm insulted. :D Actually, not. I consider myself a tinkerer, but you will find a lot very competent amateurs and professionals contributing here whose expertise goes well beyond tinkering.

John