Battery power for led light GU10?

Sooper111

Joined Dec 30, 2012
Hi people
I'm currently trying to figure out how I would power a GU10 led light from a battery source ( alkaline battery e.g. AA battery). Is this possible??? And if so how would I do it??? I have seen a video on YouTube showing a disassembled disposable camera with a flash ,connected through the cameras circuit board powering a cfl off a AA battery. How is this possible???

Any replies will be appreciated ... thanks

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm finding these GU10 bulbs listed as 4 watts to 20 watts and several colors. Serious lack of information provided. Two subjects in question. Break this down into one question at a time and give more information.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There is no way a AA battery is going to supply 8 amps. 12 watts divided by 1.5 volts = 8 amps...and this bulb is designd to run on 240 volts??? You'd have to start with something the size of a motorcycle battery and run it through a 240 volt inverter.

As for flash cameras, they use like, 3 to 6 volts maybe, and wind it up to several hundred volts with an oscillator and a transformer, then fire it for about a thousandth of a second. The trick that makes it possible is that, "thousandth of a second" number. Power is volts X amps across time. Cut the time to .001 and you are using very little power.

Last edited:

Sooper111

Joined Dec 30, 2012
So it's more the ampere demand of the light caused by the low voltage that's the issue? Maybe a 12v led would be achievable with the right inverter...

P.S.Got a better understanding of the camera flash now too...thanks

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
A compact fluorescent light bulb is rated for 13W to make it very bright. But the camera flash circuit using an 1800mAh rechargeable AA cell powers it for 4 hours. Then the current from the battery is 1800/4= 450mA at 1.2V which is only half a watt. A light that uses only half a watt is not bright.