Battery level detector

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by freezerburn73, Apr 21, 2009.

1. freezerburn73

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Could anyone help me out with a circuit to turn on an LED when the battery drops below voltage threshold? I am using this on a rc helicopter. Trying to prevent crashes.
    thanks,

2. suntop

Feb 9, 2008
    use only high value R (a few resistors) and LEDs in series-parralal branch If you need Discrete levels of voltages, No IC required

3. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Interesting! I'm not visualizing it. Do you have a schematic?

Ken

4. StayatHomeElectronics

Sep 25, 2008
    Sounds like an interesting project. It must provide your crash indicator without significantly reducing your fly time.

You can use a low power comparator. Feed your divided down battery voltage into one terminal (+) and a reference voltage, from a zener diode or actual reference, into the other (-). Comparators like the National LMV7291 draw pretty small currents. I am not sure about which reference voltage you should use.

You will need to add some hysteresis to the comparator for stability purposes unless you don't mind the LED blinking a little while the voltages are getting close. This might actually help with power consumption.

5. tkng211

Jan 4, 2008
    You can use the 3 terminal voltage reference IC TL431 (in TO 92 package) circuit. Please refer to the following link: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/bhabbott/lvw.html
    If you can't find the IC from the electronic parts store nearby your place, get it from some on line shop such as www.epartgrocer.com.
    I think the circuit can meet your requirement. Have fun!

6. StayatHomeElectronics

Sep 25, 2008
    That is certainly a much better solution than the one I proposed. Thanks.

7. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    The LM10 is low current, 8 pins and has an adjustable voltage reference (200mV and up) and an opamp that can be used as a comparator.

8. Stevezachtech

Apr 21, 2009
    You could also look for an electronic junk shops and get cheaper electronic parts. Good luck in turning on your LED when the battery drops below voltage..

9. sakbal

Jun 23, 2007
    Here is a little Low battery circuit that has served me well over the years.

Use R1 to set the trip Voltage. At that voltage the Led should just come on.

The circuit is currently configured for a 6 volt battery. Change the zener as required.