Battery for Robot

natrix

Joined Mar 24, 2009
Hi
I am building a robot with arduino nano u.C , 4 medium servos ( 100 mA each probably ) . 2 small DC motors ( about 100 mA each ) and maybe a sensor or tow .
The expected needed current is ( 700 mA ) at 5 V
I have to options for batteries ( LI-Py & NiMH ) , both have different voltage levels and mAH ratings for the specified current , all signs indicates that Li-py is better in duration and wight aspects.
But I am thinking of supplying my robot with a solar charger so it can be mobile for Ever :D . so which one of these options can be charged via solar energy .
Where the construction of the charger is not that difficult :p ?
any suggestions , schematics , Ideas are very welcomed ;)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If you compare the power draw of your robot with the area of solar panel you'll need to get that much power, you'll think twice about putting the panel ON the robot. It'd be big and expensive, and prone to damage if actually built on the robot. Having a separate charging station, perhaps with one battery charging while another is in use, might look like a more practical strategy.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If you are going for float charging, I suggest you look at sealed lead-acid. For frequent partial re-charging, I would consider NiCd and NiMH in that order. The battery datasheet or tech data will give information about the number of expected discharge-recharge cycles. NiCd's are very good in that respect. Some newer NiMH aren't bad. You might also consider A123 (LiFePO4).

John