Battery current direction by DeafeningSilence

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I found this in my E-mails:

Hey, I'm a beginner in the electronics field, and I need to clear up some things so I can continue forward without having to wonder why this, or why that, hopefully you'll be able to help.

My first question is regarding the direction(s) in which the current travels from the input, in this case a battery, if you refer to the link below, you'll have a better understanding of what I'm talking about. From what I've read, electrons travel from their negative region to a positive region, so I'm seeing it in the sense that from the negative terminal of the battery, it wants to travel to the positive...and I'm guessing that's wrong, but I don't know how else to view it if electrons are the main building block in electricity and protons (The positively charged particles) don't move or are less mobile than electrons.

The picture shows a lamp as the output and two resistors on each...I don't know the technical term, but lets just use the literal word "line", and I see the electrons moving from the negative terminal towards the lamp, and stopping there, because it had reached its output, rendering the resistor on the positive line, useless. Is there any way you could describe how the current flows?

And my last question, is concerning 2 of the Ohm's laws. I'd rather understand why it is this way, rather than just doing it because it says its right. I can understand that Power=Voltage*Current and Resistance=Voltage/Current, but I can't seem to understand why you would multiply Current and Resistance to find Voltage, or why you would divide Voltage by Resistance to find Current. If there's any way you can clear that up for me, that'd be great, if not, no worries.

Thanks

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/DreamCatcher4815162342/BasicCircuit.png
As I do not answer E-mails and PM's I posted it over here.
That way others can respond also at it.

Bertus

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
And my last question, is concerning 2 of the Ohm's laws. I'd rather understand why it is this way, rather than just doing it because it says its right. I can understand that Power=Voltage*Current and Resistance=Voltage/Current, but I can't seem to understand why you would multiply Current and Resistance to find Voltage, or why you would divide Voltage by Resistance to find Current. If there's any way you can clear that up for me, that'd be great, if not, no worries.
Actually, you can start from E = IR, which defines voltage (E) as the product of current (I) and resistance (R). If you accept that, then finding any one of the quantities as defined by the other two is simple algebra. So, if E = IR, then I = E/R, and R = E/I.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The lamp is not the output.
The two resistors and the lamp are in series so they are all the output and all pass exactly the same current.