Battery charging

bogdanul2003

Joined Sep 20, 2011
Hello,

I made a ciclo-computer that measures the speed and distance you travel by bicycle (attiny microcontroller and 7 segments LED display). Currently it is running on one 9V battery which lasts for about 8 hours.

My plan is to use a dynamo to charge the battery. To do this I have to cut off the power to the pic while the battery is charging ? If yes I would like to use 2 batteries and switch between them while one is charging. How could I switch between batteries and not make the microcontroller to reset? Do I use a capacitor?

Thanks,
Bogdan

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Are your 9V batteries the rechargeable kind?
Are they Ni-Cad or Ni-MH?
Are they actually 7.2V or 8.4V?
Do you have a charger circuit?

bogdanul2003

Joined Sep 20, 2011
The dynamo is a 12v 6W. My batteries are NIMH rechargeable 8.4 volts.
The charging circuit is not the hard part ... I don't know if I can charge a battery and power my circuit in the same time. If this is not possible then how do you switch between the batteries without power interruption.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
with 6W you can charge and power a typical circuit like urs.
But need to see ur circuit to say anything abt it's power drain.

bogdanul2003

Joined Sep 20, 2011
I think that the dynamo will deliver 6W only at high speeds. During the time I stop at a semaphore or go slow I need to power my circuit with a battery.
So I need to solve the problems from my first post.

bogdanul2003

Joined Sep 20, 2011
I thought about using a LCD but I want to do this battery recharging stuff to learn something about battery management.
How dose a mobile phone keep functioning while it is charged?

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
why not try and reduce the power usage of the current system e.g.: turning things off when not needed even for a couple of mS? then implement a charging circuit?

bogdanul2003

Joined Sep 20, 2011
I want to build the charging circuit anyway regardless of how much power my system needs. I would like to use a battery and when I have the right speed to produce enough energy from the dynamo to power the circuit and charge the battery I would like to cut off the power from the battery and power my circuit from the dynamo.

How do I make this switch between the battery and the dynamo without interrupting the power to the microcontroller?