Battery Charger

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by banzai, Nov 6, 2014.

1. banzai

Thread Starter Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Hi

I got my eyes on a newly installed Smart battery charger for a battery bank the other day. I got the chance to open the charger cabin door, but much of the parts where behind a protection glass, so i wasn't able to read any part numbers. what got me wondering is how is these chargers able to adjust there voltage in such a wide range. I am sure it's not transformer taps, would it be IGBT's ???

The charger is a 110VDC-out and 380VAC in. Voltage range is 90-140VDC if i recall this right.

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    It is likely a Switch-Mode Power Supply that is controlled-current when the batteries are initially discharged, and controlled-voltage as the battery bank approach full charges state. It likely uses a MCU to implement a sophisticated multi-state charging algorithm.

3. banzai

Thread Starter Member

Jan 3, 2014
    How is the voltage adjusted/controlled. Is it trough a IGBT by adjusting its gate voltage ?

4. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    The switch could be anything, but most likely IGBT or NFET. However, it is a SMPS, so the switching devices are driven with PWM.

5. banzai

Thread Starter Member

Jan 3, 2014
    So it is rapid ON/OFF we are taking about (PWM). I thought they varied the gate voltage in order to set the required output voltage, but that would waste much power.

6. banzai

Thread Starter Member

Jan 3, 2014
    So is it simply a switched mode power supply witch high current, high voltage mosfets or IGBT's and a smart controlling circuit ?

7. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    As I said back in post#2, it is a SMPS, but it is anything but simple...