Bass Fishing now a HS sport

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Your thoughts? I read in Indiana or IL or someplace like that 2 states are making bass fishing proper HS sports. I think this is great. I don't think we teach enough nature and survival skills in school as is. I think now most kids get 1 day of nature camp in middle school and thats it. Somehow I'd love to get involved in improving that.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Well I support it, but I wouldn't consider it really nature & survival skills.
I would for those student, especially inner city that have never caught a fish before. In any case I wasn't really referring to that being nature survival, only that its in the same genre and we need more of it. I went to a couple different HS's when I was a kid and the inner city ones offered autoshop. The ones in teh county offered these agriculture programs that were huge and amazing. I just think that kinda stuff should be taught to everyone ever if it means bussing people around a year or even a semester. Everyone should know how to grow their own food. That should be school 101.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Kids like to goof around and crash bikes at camp,the younger ones want to swim

and use water guns.They don,t like to follow leaders. Leaders don't like camp.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I have had my share of youth fishing camps, I still have cane poles with floaters

and weights. I have seen a lot of kids catch there first fish.So don't judge me too

harshly. I had pre-school to 16 year olds ,so different ages act there age and needed

more supervision. Parents were the worst,never on time to pick up kids using you

and staff as baby sitters.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ max, we have a lot bass fishing tourament in South Fla,you could volunteer

at your local bass pro shops,they have youth programs. Do you have a Bass

Pro shop in Tampa or St pete ,you should have. You guys in the great north,

do you have to pass a polygraft to claim big cash prises for fishing contest.

Grown up bass touraments require it in South Fla.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Name your food you are going to plant and lets see who has the first meal.

Ready set go---name your plan. Bucket gardens are allowed.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Well my daughter and I just built a "groden" (that's how she chose to spell garden) yesterday - it's a 4'X1'X1' trough planter and I'm malting some bean, bell pepper, jalapeno, and cilantro seeds to plant in it. Also going to try some tomatoes and water melons in pots.

Attachments

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Does this mean there is a LED grow light thread in your future?
I don't know, maybe. Ideally I would let the sun do it's job, but the only place on the property that gets full sun all day is the driveway, and homeowners assoc likely won't take kindly to makeshift wooden planters covering the driveway. So I would like to trim the massive shade trees back a bit, but they're not my trees... so we'll see how it pans out.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
You should find some gm stuff. They've made some which repells pests without chemicals.

Get a compost bag and cut a side out. Then you can can grow vegetables in the bag.

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
@ Ozark ,do you have wild black berries growing in your area. Anyone else

have wild berries growing near you or grapes.
We have lots of wild blackberries growing in the fence rows and they are already starting to turn. I don't like the chiggers, ticks, thorns, poison ivy & snakes associated with them so I have a huge tame blackberry patch by my vegetable garden. It looks like it will be a bumper crop and start producing ripe thumb-sized berries in the next two weeks (early this year--usually around July 4th). I'm expecting a gallon of berries every other day until mid-August.