Bass Amp Cabinet Wiring Question

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Videodrome, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Videodrome

Thread Starter Member

Nov 12, 2009
    I am in the process of converting an old dead bass amp into an extension cabinet for a tiny bass preamp i have. what i am unsure of is what wires from the speaker itself go to where on a monophonic 1/8th jack. i actually think i know the answer but 10 percent of me is still unsure and would just like to get a second opinion. the blue wire as seen coming from the solder terminals on the speaker goes to the ‘ring’ of the monophonic jack correct? i’ve provided some photos of the speaker jack terminals as well as the jack i will be using just to be sure. thanks again folks and take care and have a great weekend.:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Kinda like a light bulb - it doesn't matter which polarity you use. It DOES matter when you do a home theater where you have multiple speakers. You want them to be in phase; all moving "in" and "out" together, not canceling each other. As long as you have just one speaker on the signal, polarity doesn't matter. One wire to each of the two solder rings on the jack.

Videodrome likes this.
  3. Videodrome

Thread Starter Member

Nov 12, 2009
    thanks alot wayneh! i was way off in my initial assumption, you learn somethin new everday.