basics electricals

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by chyadesh, Apr 15, 2009.

1. chyadesh

Thread Starter Member

Apr 10, 2009
    what is the meaning of the wording we find on the bulbs?(60w/230v)
    Ans)to my view. we can give maximum of 230v to the 60w bulbs.

But if we increase the voltage to 440v for 60w bulb. Then what will be happen?

2. PRS

Aug 24, 2008
    The filament is designed to withstand a current of 230/60 = 3 amps. If you hike the voltage up to 440 you get 440/60 = 7 amps. This will probably destroy the bulb very quickly.

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I agree with PRS.
    The heat made can be so high that the bulb can explode.

Greetings,
    Bertus

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    "60W" is an indication of light output. 1 Watt being roughly standardized as 680 lumens of 555nm (Green) light, which the human eye is most sensitive to.

It is usually close to the actual power draw in an incandescent bulb, as stated above. Some compact fluorescent lamps are rated in equivalent watts based on measured lumen output, and more incandescent bulbs are labeled with lumen output in addition to true power consumed, to show better efficiency.

The printing on an incandescent light bulb is to alert the end user of the maximum voltage and approximate light output/power consumed, the voltage should not be exceeded, but can be lower. For the true light output, the manufacturer or box should be checked for Lumen output, as the Watts -> Lumen conversion is NOT part of a worldwide official system.

If the marking is on a compact fluorescent lamp, the voltage cannot vary much from the marked value, and may be equivalent watts, with actual power drawn printed elsewhere on the bulb.

5. PRS

Aug 24, 2008
    Speaking of lowering the rated voltage, ThatOneGuy, I did a side job for a car dealer here in town. One of the things he wanted to do is replace his 240 volt lighting with some 277 volt fixtures he had picked up in Portland real cheap. I advised experimenting first. After hooking up a couple fixtures to 240 volts he was very disappointed with the amount of light they gave off.

I heard or read somewhere that the amount of light given off by a particular lamp is proportional to the inverse square of the voltage. I'm not sure if this is true, but it seemed to be.