basic USB project-help needed

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by himanshu1990, Jul 24, 2010.

1. himanshu1990

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    hi every1...

here is the URL for a basic usb project i found(well some1 actually directed me here)...
    but m really not able to understand what it actually does ..m a complete novice for usb...
    plz suggest something or some guidance on starting with usb..

thanks a lot!!!

http://www.leonheller.com/usb/

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    It is my considered opinion that there are no USB projects that are suitable for beginners.

4. himanshu1990

Jun 23, 2010
    hi sir...

actally i hd already strted blieving the same...after my hour long research on this field...

:)

but still i want to tell that m an electronics engineering student and really want to start with usb projects coz i have really big ideas related to cmputers that i want to fulfill...

what do you suggest sir..
    thanks in advance...

5. himanshu1990

Jun 23, 2010

thanku sir...

ill go for this rite now...
    and will definitely revert back if there are ny more problems...
    thanks again ....:)

6. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Download the specs from:
    www.usb.org

Pick up a copy of Jan Axelson's book "USB Complete"

Download and read datasheets and app notes for USB parts

7. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    It simply makes one LED (connected to port RA1 IIRC) to blink at 2 Hz rate and turns on/off another LED connected to port RA0 IIRC) in response to two commands implemented via to what is called "vendor specific requests".

It all started when Brad Minch, teaching at Olin, posted here http://www.microchip.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=89669 an implementation of four different labs (in C and Assembler) which are basic demonstrations of using USB to link a (very) simple device and a PC.

It is the sole LONG thread I ever read in any forum because I found the subject worth the effort.

Leon Heller posted on his site how to actually reproduce the first of them.

Yes, USB is more complex than complicated. After reading more than 80% of the basic as someone suggested I can say that the mambo jumbo was huge.

As you could read in the USB forum, I managed to get the four of them, up and running but it took time to wade through all the unknowns!

8. himanshu1990

Jun 23, 2010

thanku sir for ur advice...

ill start with the book rite away...

thnks..:)

9. himanshu1990

Jun 23, 2010