basic op amp symbol question

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by benmb, Feb 28, 2015.

1. benmb

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Hi, I have a dumb beginner question about the meaning of certain ways of drawing symbols in an electrical diagram.
    What is the difference in meaning when connection of an element (say, a capacitor) has the legs connected to the surface of the triangle op amp symbol, as opposed to connecting the outer V+ or V- inputs to the output?
    For example, the .001 uF capacitor shown in this picture, as opposed to the .0068 uF capacitor?
    Thanks in advance

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    The o.oo1 capacitor is used to compensate the high frequency response of the amplifer. It is hooked across two unnumbered pins coming out of the IC. Look up the data sheet for that opamp, and that will describe its use.

benmb likes this.
  3. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Welcome to AAC.

Learn from the confusion; someone else couldn't be bothered to label their schematics in a meaningful way -- heck, they put the pin numbers on the I/O pins but couldn't even put the pin numbers on the compensation pins. Hopefully you think they should have done a better job, so learn from their sloppiness and when drawing schematics of your own that others might have to read and don't make the same sloppy mistakes.

4. benmb

Feb 28, 2015
    Thank you! I just learned a heckuvalot about op amps by reading through that data sheet

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    benmb likes this.
  6. benmb

Feb 28, 2015
    Definitely. I doubt this will be the last question I ask about this circuit diagram here.