Basic-language microcontrollers

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Voltboy, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Voltboy

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Hey guys.
    I want to get new microcontrollers for hobby projects, I already know kinda good the BASIC language so I want to get a microcontroller that can be programmed with BASIC.
    I know the is the BS2 but it is really expensive, do you guys know a microcontroller that is kinda cheap and programmable with BASIC or a derivate from it?
    The best one I found yet is the PICAXE.

2. niftydog

Jun 13, 2007
    I doubt you'll find any system cheaper than PICAXE, and their basic language is very easy to learn.
  3. Voltboy

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 10, 2007
    well then ill go with PICAXE :D
  4. Gadget

Distinguished Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Its what I use all the time. Quick, cheap, free software, very little to interface up to serial port. Lacks real power or a serial speed faster than around 2400 unless you go to the latest more expensive jobs.
  5. emporiumx

Feb 16, 2007
    Hi their.

There is a company called MikroElektronika (I think thast how its spelt) That makes a Basic compiler for AVR.

I have bought the full version and find it very good.
    There is also a fully functional demo version that is suitable for many users applications ( 2k max hex file limit i think it is)

Because the code is compiled then uploaded as a hex you dont get the in-efficiences of some other basic styled microcontroller systems that come from interpreted code (much slower and less code can be uploaded)

I have used a company called futurlec ( extensively for hardware and you will find that you can set yourself up to learn BAsic on the AVR for under $50USD

MikroBasic you will find as a free download by googling it.

Hope you find this info useful.

6. lightingman

Apr 19, 2007
    Check out the Proton plus basic compiler from Crownhill....I use it and have never had a