Basic Function for Stepper Motor for Beginner

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by kavinuma, Dec 1, 2013.

1. kavinuma

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 1, 2013

I am a beginner n00bzorz with circuits, and for this project I'm working on, it was recommended that I use a stepper motor for its precise rotation. So I bought a stepper motor, but I have absolutely no idea how to use it. It's a 4 phase 5 wire lead stepper motor, which looks a lot like this:

I don't know how to hook it up, and I don't know how to operate it at all. Our project was originally complex, but we have dumbed it down considerably. We are using an electrical signal from the eye (EOG to control a prosthetic eye to rotate synchronously. We are only working with left and right movements and it's pretty much three positions for the eye: left, right, and middle. So what I need to do is use the right movement output to rotate the stepper motor let's say 70 degrees and the left 70 degrees the other way. But again, I have no idea what I am doing. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

- kavinuma
  2. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    The L297 is a popular small stepper controller, if you Google it you will get all the circuits you want, you could set up a basic counter output to step the required number of steps.
  3. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Ebay has tiny unipolar (5-wire) driver PCBs, I have seen them as cheap as $5. They accept step/dir inputs so you need to drive it with X number of steps in the right direction to turn the motor 70 degrees.

The easiest way to generate the steps is with a small microcontroller. :)