Basic double strob with 555

Alberto Leandro Tupone

Joined Jun 21, 2015
After a hard work I get this (remember I'm very noob on this, and of course is all about your answer, I made nothing).

Now I've got two question:
1) Why I should use ground and also connecting to the negative? I think I really don't understand the difference between GND and - . Because I can't think where to connect the ground in a future PBC.

2) I try hard to make it work with the same power supply (9v) but every time I try to increase the 6v, the 4017 explode. I can't understand why.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english and my poor knowdledge. I'm really trying to learn but I think I'm a little airhead :D

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
First.
1. The leds are wrong way around. (Flip them over, the arrow should point to ground)
2. You most probably do not need the transistors or the resistors connected to the base. Just a single resistor tied to the cathode of the leds to control current(330-2k depending on the diodes and how bright you want them to be).
3. why 2 on/off buttons when 1 is enough.

To answer your questions.

1) In this case ground and negative(of the battery) is the same reference point.
2) 4017 should be able to work on 9 volts (at least in real life).

Hope that helps a little :)

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
All 4017 outputs are totem pole drivers, and only one at a time can be high. When you tie any of them directly together, the chip tries to short out the battery. At low power voltages the current is limited enough by losses in the chip to prevent instant death, but at higher voltages the current is too great. Notice in my schematic that two of the outputs were connected to the same transistor through diodes. Now you know why. The diodes prevent current from one output to another when one is high and the other is low. For your circuit you need 5 diodes.

Also, I think both 555 timing resistors need to be 10 times larger.

Increase the two 1K resistors to 2K or 2.2K each. This limits the base current to under 5 mA, a good value for long term reliability.

It looks like the two LED groups total 30 mA and 45 mA. A CD4017 can not sink this much current reliably. Keep the two transistors in the circuit.

ak