basic color codes

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by iamftds, Feb 9, 2014.

1. iamftds

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I am searching for basic color coding in a automotive setting I have a white wire with a blue stripe and a black wire with a blue stripe which one should be considered positive

2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    I don't think there is a common standard.

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I have a few GM Factory Workshop Manuals and they show standards used, but wire colour codes are not shown.
    It is best to try and get a OEM workshop manual if possible.
    Max.

4. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Those don't really sound like positive and negative wires to me. They sound more like signal/low power/current wires of some sort, perhaps for a car radio?

By the way, automotive discussions are not allowed here, so depending on how the moderators read this thread, be prepared for it to be closed. It's a safety and liability thing, it's not personal.

Regards,
    Matt

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I used to know the codes for Fords, but they keep changing. Buy the wiring manual. About $35 on eBay. It's worth at least triple that for the time it will save you.

One of my friends spent 4 trips and over a thousand dollars trying to get Goodyear Service to fix a dead battery problem. They failed four times. I made him buy the manual and had it fixed for free in 35 minutes.

But don't come back here for diagnosis. Try electrotechonline. Plenty of smart people, different rules.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  6. Art

Distinguished Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Having worked in an auto factory, I can verify that red is positive, black is negative,
    the rest is up to the manufacturer :D
    If the chassis is ground, should one of them not be common to the chassis?

7. bwilliams60

Nov 18, 2012
    What is the make, model and year of this electronic device ;) you are working on?

8. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    in a car, everything not grounded is positive. no positive ground cars for a long time.
    my 74 Alfa Romeo and my sons 69 Alfa Romeo have actual color coded wireing, except when they run out of a particular color and put in whatever they have on hand.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    and green with black stripe is only hot during "on" or "accy"...at least it was in 1973. :D