Basic (analog) power point tracker without internal energy storage

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by airmail, Feb 28, 2012.

1. airmail

airmail Thread Starter New Member

Hello,

For a project, I'm in search for a simple (and if possible: analog) maximum power point tracker circuit for a max 12V/2A solar panel without significant internal energy storage (like in big capacitors).

Purpose is to run a small DC motor efficiently (at max power point) directly from the solar panel without the use of a battery.

Thank you!!!
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. airmail

Yeah, I know most mppt's work with big capacitors but hey, isn't there really one technique out there to do it without one?
  3. Bernard

Bernard Senior Member

Some ideas: www.edn.com/designideas Dec 5 2008. Solar-array controller needs no multiplier to maximise power.
    Another speculation is what I call " Poor mans controller" which uses a small secondary solar panel to provide an open ckt V ref. From several plots of solar panel power output, it appears that peak power occurs at about 73% of OC V. If the main panel V is divided down with pot and fed to comparator + input, secondary panel V to - input. Output with power amplification drives motor with a signal looking like PWM, as logic response is much faster than motor response. This presumes that motor current is sufficient to pull collector V below 73% of OC V. or load motor, maybe a propeller?

Attached Files:

4. Bernard

Bernard Senior Member

Surprise, another Pk Pwr.

Attached Files:

5. airmail

I think the EDN article is extremely interesting! Many thanks for that!