Basic 555 questions

JLother

Joined Jan 16, 2014
Where are you getting the number you are dividing the .12A with? I keep getting more confused. The original schematic I looked at used two transistors and had 8 bolts running to the chip and it was controlling a 28 volt power supply. Is my problem I'm not feeding enough volts through the chip?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I get the .0003A figure from the datasheet. On page 4, it says Voh (Vout hi) is a minimum of 1.5 volts with a load of .3 ma

and, yes, demanding that the chip only has 1.5 volts to work with means it won't be guaranteed to work at all. Giving it 2 volts will allow it to supply .0003 amps.

You're starving the poor thing!

JLother

Joined Jan 16, 2014
How do you give the chip more voltage? I really don't care how much it gets, I just don't want a huge battery pack. The low voltage was a distant second to the wider temperature range it had. I found the Texas Instrument chip that starts at 3.5 volts and goes to 15. Is the voltage solely dependant upon the battery? What do I need to do to make it work just like the original schematic with only 2 transistors? I would rather just go ahead and feed it more power that amplify what little it gets. I just need to run 5 six LED panels, each with their own timing circuit and power supply and have them controlled by one switch in as small as a package as I can get.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The battery produces the voltage, therefore, the voltage is solely dependent on the battery. The method to give the chip more voltage is to connect pin 8 of the chip to the voltage by using a wire. It is allowed to use a switch that turns the voltage on.

Do you want 5 separate timing circuits, each with its own battery, each one drives 6 LEDs, and each one has a switch?

What is the start-up time delay for each module?

Do you require that only the CMOS version of the 555 chip be used?

Would you be satisfied if I can make this work without any transistors?

Would you be satisfied if I can make this work without any relays?

What temperature range do you need?

I can make these LEDs do what you want with no transistors and no relays if you just quit demanding that I use the CMOS version. So, what is your goal? To use the CMOS version of a 555 timer or to get LEDs to work?

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi JL,
Another point you should consider if you use a 1.5V battery supply, is that the battery output will not maintain 1.5V during its lifetime.

If the battery voltage falls by as little a 0.1V, you will have a problem.

You should never create a 'marginal', design.

E.