Baseball counter

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by tor-men-tor, Jan 23, 2011.

1. tor-men-tor

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm guessing you are looking for a Ball/Strike/Out counter. I too am looking for a similar circuit. one push button would count up lighting leds or bulbs in the sequence of: 000(start) 100(1push) 110(2push) 111(3push) 000(4push@@) [for balls -only counts 3 as 4balls is never displayed]
    @@possibly make 4th press clear both ball and strike count for higher marks@@
    for strikes: 00(st) 10(1p) 11(2p) 00(3p##)
    ##possibly make 3rd strike add one to the out counter for more marks##

I wouldn't think the "3 strikes= +1 out" or the "4 balls = 0strikes+0balls(clear)" part is necessary but could get you more marks for advanceness. also a clear balls and strike (if they got a hit) button could be used too

!!I could post my own thread I guess for this but I think it helps us both out!!
    !!if I'm WRONG and not even close to the "ball counter" gacall is looking for I will make my own thread!!

I am looking for what would essentially be a basic "Ball counter module" part of gacall's request, a [000,100,110,111,000,100,110.....] circuit. one push button to light up 3 led's or bulbs in sequence while keeping the previous lights on. I don't care about the "clear" ability, just 1 button cycling through 0,1,2,3,0,1,2...
    ^^^^
    ^^^^this is how a standard baseball Umpire's counter works it starts at 0 and when it reaches 3 balls or 2 strikes the next click circles back to zero. they don't automatically add an out if they get 3 strikes, there are 3 separate counters that cycle independently and the Umpire manually cycles forward to zero when needed(might have a spring loaded reset but that sounds too fancy)
    the usage of the "3 strikes= +1 out" or the "4 balls = 0strikes+0balls(clear)" is more for a ball count on a scoreboard for the fans to see rather that a handheld counter(like I want)

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Greetings Tor-men-tor,

It is always a good idea to start your own thread even if the subject is already in existence. The subtle differences between your requirements and those of the existing thread are bound to exist. A separate thread prevents confusion.

hgmjr

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    This is the first thread - http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=45735

I mistakenly moved this to Projects, and then saw my mistake.

Tor-men-tor, you might start with a flow chart to show how the counters will work. Then you can see about making up a schematic. You can do this in logic (including relays), or with a microprocessor.