Base Current

jlcstrat

Joined Jun 19, 2009
I don't have the exact numbers with me, but basically it was a voltage divider biased transistor. I have the two biasing resistor values and VCC, but that's it. I was asked for base current, but couldn't figure out how to get their answer.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Were you given the Beta of the transistor as part of the problem statement? If so what is it?

Were you also given the Vbe to assume in the problem statement? If so, what is it?

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
You actually do have a base resistor embodied in the resistor divider R1 and R2. Calculate the Thevenin equivalents of the base voltage divider.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
That is because you probably overlooked that you have to use Thevenin's equivalent voltage as well. Not 12V.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Yes. The voltage across R2 is the Thevenin equivalent voltage for the network consisting of R1 and R2. Was your answer off by much?

hgmjr

jlcstrat

Joined Jun 19, 2009
Yeah, over double! I just took the voltage across R2 divided by the parallel combination of the two biasing resistors. Oh well...I don't know what else I could have done. Thanks for helping. At least I know I'm not crazy now!

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Did you consider the input impedance of the base? Can you post your calculation that yielded the incorrect answer? I should be able to spot where you went off the rail.

hgmjr

jlcstrat

Joined Jun 19, 2009
I think that R1=4.7K and R2=1k with 9Vdc. I found Vr2 to be 1.579V. I divided that by 824.56 to get 1.91 mA. The correct answer was supposed to be around .7 mA

jlcstrat

Joined Jun 19, 2009
That still leaves me with 1.187 mA . I know the answer was supposed to be .7 because I've been going over and over it.