Barebone mono tube preamp?

johnsy

Joined Jul 3, 2014
Hi,

does anyone have knowledge of mono tube preamps without semiconductors and transistors?

Years ago someone mentioned building a few in a japanese magazine (don't remember the name)

I remember one picture of a (very) small metal box with a single tube.

Does it sound feasible?

Johnsy.

johnsy

Joined Jul 3, 2014
Try this...
Thanks a lot! this is a nice introduction to tubes.

There is a stomp box like that.
If you get the name that would be great.

I just want to add that one of the preamp in the magazine was listed as "tube preamp mono MIC" by the author.

Most mono tube preamp are tube boosters - overdrive, distortion effects which was not the case of the author preamps.

johnsy

Joined Jul 3, 2014
I'm sure but it wouldn't glow!

I'm well aware of the solid states vs vacuum tubes debate but as i have access to a selection of tubes it might be a good afternoon project.

So if anyone as a schematic (or informations) on (small) tube mono preamp (mic), this will be greatly appreciated!

johnsy

Joined Jul 3, 2014
you might want to search "glowbugs" for tube projects.
Thanks, didn't know this (it brings up a lot of very interesting pages)

You might want to have a look at the "old books online" site:
Thank you! what a find, browsing through this is gonna take some time!

What kind of tube amp were you looking for?
Something to drive a speaker?
A single tube mono preamp, Yes.

I guessed that choosing a mono mic preamp instead of stereo would have been be a nice introduction to the world of vacuum tubes , but strangely it proves more complex than i thought.

So you need a FET, a 9v battery and a LED!
Alright but where is the warmth? not led size but doesn't take much space:

"Sub-miniature tubes"

BeerBelly

Joined Dec 16, 2013
Well as an introduction to tube amps.
A single tube will probably not have enough gain to drive a speaker from a microphone. Also a transformer is needed at the plate of the tube to match its impedance to the speaker.
Tubes require a higher voltage than most modern electronics and another power source to heat the filaments.The EZ81 tube can be replaced by a 1N4007 diode to simplify things if you wish. The dual control is just a tone control.
A well stocked junk box of older parts may be needed.

Here is the source of of this schematichttp://www.angelfire.com/vt/audio/

johnsy

Joined Jul 3, 2014
Thanks for the schematic and link!

A single tube will probably not have enough gain to drive a speaker from a microphone.
Not too sure about that one, more details on this can be found in the "Vacuum Tube theory & circuit design" section of TBO (thanks again bertus!)

To be able to fit everything in a small enclosure i might have to look for a hybrid amp (the transformer is an issue and will also require a separate enclosure)

Even if i don't have sub-miniatures tubes, i'll look into the schematics (and size)

At this size transformer(s) are not an issue!

The following projects may also interest you:
Once again thanks a lot bertus!

I think that with all that i got everything, i will check the tubes i have for specs and if i have premium tubes in the collection!

It looks more like a weekend (or even a week) project, than an afternoon!

Last edited:

johnsy

Joined Jul 3, 2014
For those also interested by the subject (but a bit overwhelmed) i found this page with a lot of details (but clearly presented) including a list of preamp tubes, which help!

About sub-miniature vacuum tubes in particular:

The cheap k261 valve preamplifier kit from oatley is worth looking into.