Bare Piezo Disc?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by foolios, Nov 9, 2009.

1. foolios

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 4, 2009
    In the book electronics for dummies; one of the projects requires a bare piezo disc. I cannot find one of these listed on Radioshack or google for other electronic parts sites. I only get the alarms and not the touch component. The project needs one of these so that when touched, it will generate voltage to a neon bulb.

Anyone ever done this project from the book that knows where to get this part? If so, did you find the neon bulb for the project as well, there's no specs for that.. grr.. Just gonna try some lights I found on the RS site.

Thanks in advance.

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Try looking for an NE-2 bulb. The NE-2 is neon, and is available in several basings.

No idea about finding a bare piezoelectric disk. Hard to make electrical contacts to one.

3. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Dont know if this is helpful, but you can try the following.

http://www.omegapiezo.com/?gclid=COWgvMD3_p0CFR9N5QodSyYvqQ

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Radio Shack does sell piezo element (no driver circuitry), it comes in a plastic case but is easily removed. The part number is 273-073, and costs $2. It is about 1" in diameter.

5. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    look for a copper like disc in a plastic shell, you will find these in kids toys that have sounds, and in greeting cards that play music/messages..... cheap way to find piezo discs :) ....

6. foolios

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Thanks guys. I can play with this now.