Bare Piezo Disc?

foolios

Joined Feb 4, 2009
In the book electronics for dummies; one of the projects requires a bare piezo disc. I cannot find one of these listed on Radioshack or google for other electronic parts sites. I only get the alarms and not the touch component. The project needs one of these so that when touched, it will generate voltage to a neon bulb.

Anyone ever done this project from the book that knows where to get this part? If so, did you find the neon bulb for the project as well, there's no specs for that.. grr.. Just gonna try some lights I found on the RS site.

Thanks in advance.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Try looking for an NE-2 bulb. The NE-2 is neon, and is available in several basings.

No idea about finding a bare piezoelectric disk. Hard to make electrical contacts to one.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
In the book electronics for dummies; one of the projects requires a bare piezo disc. I cannot find one of these listed on Radioshack or google for other electronic parts sites. I only get the alarms and not the touch component. The project needs one of these so that when touched, it will generate voltage to a neon bulb.

Anyone ever done this project from the book that knows where to get this part? If so, did you find the neon bulb for the project as well, there's no specs for that.. grr.. Just gonna try some lights I found on the RS site.

Thanks in advance.
Dont know if this is helpful, but you can try the following.

http://www.omegapiezo.com/?gclid=COWgvMD3_p0CFR9N5QodSyYvqQ

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Radio Shack does sell piezo element (no driver circuitry), it comes in a plastic case but is easily removed. The part number is 273-073, and costs $2. It is about 1" in diameter.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
look for a copper like disc in a plastic shell, you will find these in kids toys that have sounds, and in greeting cards that play music/messages..... cheap way to find piezo discs :) ....