Bandwidth

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by chaosweapon, May 3, 2009.

1. chaosweapon

Thread Starter Member

Nov 14, 2008
    How do I calculate the bandwidth of a class A amplifier (CE-CE-CC)? Shouldn't it be dependent on the capacitors used?

2. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Yes in part.

One needs to set up & analyze a model (or models) which take account of the low , mid band and high frequency ranges.

Any semiconductor textbook worthy of its purchase price will discuss this in detail.

Otherwise visit a library with a good technical section or Google & evaluate the information.

3. PRS

Aug 24, 2008
    The response, Vo/Vi , if discreet capacitors are used, will be 0 at DC, but as the frequency increases the gain increases to its midband level where it stays until it reaches a point where it rolls off and falls to 0 again. The latter part or the curve is due to small capacitances within the device and any stray capacitance present.

The technique for determining the roll off point is to look at each source of capacitance and using the resistance it sees to compute its roll-off or roll-on point.
    f=(1/2*pi*R*C). More help if you need it.

4. chaosweapon

Thread Starter Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Ok, I realized that I have to plot a graph of Gain versus frequency to find the bandwidth. Thank you for your help.

5. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    All the world hates a nitpicker, but I'm gonna do it anyhow:

f=1/(2*pi*R*C).

Placement of the parentheses is important!:D

6. PRS

Aug 24, 2008
    You're right, Ron. I'm so sorry.