BANDWIDTH OF A DIPOLE ANTENNA

Discussion in 'Radio and Communications' started by muni, Sep 27, 2008.

1. muni

muni Thread Starter Active Member

THIS IS ALSO A QUESTION FROM GATE PAPERS
    PLEASE FIND THE ATTACHMENTS

2. DickCappels

DickCappels Moderator

Why didn't you just type this question in rather than posting a zipped file?

========================
    If the diameter of a λ/2 dipole antenna is increased from λ100 to λ50, then is
    A). Bandwidth increases b) Bandwidth decreases
    c). gain increases d). gain decreases
    sir I don’t know the formulae to relate between bandwidth , gain and diameter of a dipole antenna.
    ========================
    Neither do I, but then I do not understand the question, the way it was written.

3. Papabravo

Papabravo AAC Fanatic!

In terms of VSWR the response of a dipole is not symmetric about the resonant frequency so the concept of bandwidth is a bit hard to quantify. I think the same is tru for return loss, so how exactly are we defining bandwidth?

I do know that bandwidth, however it is defined, increases with frequency; that is an antenna cut to a given length will have a larger bandwidth if it is cut for a higher frequency.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  4. pebe

pebe Distinguished Member

5. scubasteve_911

scubasteve_911 Senior Member

I would think that the gain would decrease. It is still a lambda/2 antenna, but of a smaller geometry. Having a smaller antenna with the same lamda/2, I think, would give you much less gain.

Steve

6. muni

sir thank you have given me a food advise. but the book it is too heavy to read and understand this. i feel i don't have that much in depth knwoledge about this. if u have any ready made answer plese pass it on. once again thank you sir

7. muni

thank you friend actually i was preparing a list of such doubts and problems. so i made it part by parrt as small copies