Bandpass Filter for Sawtooth wave

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by simply_me, Jun 8, 2010.

1. simply_me

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2010
    Hello,

I've a bandpass filter centered at 40kHz. The filter is working nice when I send it a sinusoid/square wave/triangle wave, but when it receives the actual signal that I need it to filter which is a sawtooth wave the filter converts it to a triangular wave (which is part of the reason I'm using a filter) but it cuts the frequency by half. In turn, my transmitter filters the 20kHz signal. Does someone know how to modify the bandpass filter to receive a 40kHz output?

Thank you.

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Without a schematic, we don't have a clue how to help you.

3. simply_me

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2010
    Do you prefer a .pdf or a Multisim file?

4. simply_me

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2010
    Here are the schematics and the incoming wave.

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    .png file formats are preferred; they are compact and require no extra software. Screen capture -> MSPaint -> Save as .png
    .pdf is OK, but is slower to load.

Many people don't have Multisim.

6. simply_me

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2010
    Here is the .png, sorry I was attaching the previous files when you posted the .png comment.

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Have a look at this Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawtooth_wave
    You'll note that sawtooth waves are comprised of both the fundamental frequency, plus all of the even and odd harmonics of the fundamental frequency.

A pure sine wave consists of only the fundamental frequency.

You will need to convert your sawtooth wave to a sine wave prior to it entering the bandpass filter.

8. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Keep in mind that the LM358 is a very old and very slow opamp. It might work OK for audio frequency sine waves, but not for anything broadband.

9. simply_me

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2010
    Thank you. It's for an ultrasonic range finder, so I think the LM358 will be sufficient.

10. simply_me

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2010
  11. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    You'll eliminate most of the information in the sawtooth wave.

Also, your sawtooth wave is not symmetrical; there's a period of time where it holds at a steady level before it starts ramping up. That changes the fundamental frequency and the harmonics included.

12. simply_me

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2010
    Well, if I convert it before I'm sending it out it should be fine, I think. Maybe I'll skip the conversion and just filter the received signal.

13. simply_me

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2010
    I've added an LC before the filter. Does it look okay to you?
    It oscillates a little too much (should be between 39-41kHz), but I think it'll do the job.

14. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Your output is a triangle-wave instead of a sine-wave because the old LM358 has slew-rate limiting above 5kHz.
    At your high frequency its output is ramping as fast as it can go which is too slow to produce a sine-wave at that high frequency.

Use a TL071 opamp instead for frequencies up to 100kHz.

15. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    The LF411 is obsolete.
    The LM358 should be obsolete, but it works OK for some low frequency stuff.

You need to use better opamps.

The TL071 is a much faster opamp, but it cannot "see" within 3v of the negative rail, or about 1.5v of the positive rail. Therefore, you would need to use a split supply with it.

Since I really don't know what you are trying to do, I'll let you figure that out and then maybe you can try to explain it better.

See the attached; it's a simulation of your signal, along with an FFT analysis of the waveform content. Notice all of the harmonics.

16. simply_me

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2010
    @SgtWookie,
    Thank you for the analysis. I'm going to get a TL082 and try to design the filter. I'm building an ultrasonic rangefinder using a linear ramp (the LF opamp you've seen in the schematics). I wanted to convert the sawtooth wave to a sinusoid (ideally, if not a triangle) to avoid harmonics. Every bandpass filter that I try isn't good enough (for 1. filter & 2. convert the sawtooth to a sinusoid). Idk, I might just leave it as is.
    @AudioGuru, thanks for the advice it was exactly the problem. I'm going now to get a few TL082 to replace the 358 and test it. I'm not sure I'm able to redesign the filter to do what I need it to do.

17. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    I have never made a Multiple-Feedback-Bandpass Filter but the ratios for the parts determine the bandwidth. You can make it wideband with a low voltage gain or a narrow bandwidth with a high voltage gain.

18. simply_me

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2010
    That's actually a great idea. On the receiving end I'll have a narrow bandpass and on the transmitting end I'll have a wide bandpass mainly to convert the waveform.This is my modified "wide band" bandpass, I've cleaned most of the clipping. Do you think it's sufficiently good to transmit w/o picking up too much noise?

• new.jpg
      new.jpg
      File size:
      263.4 KB
      Views:
  19. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    Much of the bottom of your "new" transmitted waveform is clipped away. Why?

20. simply_me

Thread Starter Member

May 6, 2010
    I know, I can't get rid of it, but I'm still trying.
    I really appreciate your help throughout this thread by the way.