ballast for UV germicidal lamp

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by crobertsbmw, May 19, 2012.

1. crobertsbmw

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I am trying to design the circuitry to run a germicidal lamp. I want to run it off 5v dc. If that is out of the question I suppose I could run it off 110ac. I have searched around a fair amount for schematics and things but the more I look into this the more confused I get and difficult this seems to be. I don't need anything crazy. I just want a small germicidal lamp and want to be able to turn it on and off with a microcontroller, probably using a switching mosfet. I have looked into buying ballasts but they all seem too expensive. If I could build the circuitry for a really simple one and keep it under three to five bucks I would much rather do that.

Does anyone have any knowledge they can dump on me?
  2. rfredel

Jan 23, 2011

Maybe I can help you. However, in addition I need more information about the lamp, how the power comsumption and the lamp type.

Ps: Sorry, if my English is not so good.
  3. rohitd

Jan 29, 2011
    just a emergency circuit for cfl will do. but if you are using it in a fixed place, i recommend you to go for AC power. for that any tubelight ballast (CFL Tubes) will work. just match the power rating or you would blow off the tube or lamp!! i am a medical biotechnologist and use this everyday for sterilizing my lab. we run the UV tube on an electronic tubelight ballast.
  4. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    To save building something you could buy a $10 battery operated "camping light" that uses the same sized tube, and just use the electronic ballast from that.