Bad TV Power Supply?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by beckxtr, Nov 22, 2012.

1. beckxtr

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 22, 2012
    My Sharp Aquos LCD TV (LC-37D43U) suddenly stop working while watching TV. None of the Capacitors on the power supply appear to have popped and all the test points read the same voltage 33.7. Where it should read 24V, 15V, or 5V all read 33.7±.1. Am I doing something wrong or is the power supply bad?

If the power supply is bad do I replace the whole board or can this be narrowed down and fixed?

2. Externet

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 29, 2005
    There is many more troubleshooting procedures to be performed before deciding what you plan. Everything can be narrowed down to an usually 5 cent part. If the damaged components are in the supply, then finding the reason that caused the supply to fail.
  3. tindel

Sep 16, 2012
    What are you reading the voltages with respect to (i.e. are you reading the voltages with respect to chassis, or is there a gnd test point?)

As far as how to fix it - there could be a lot of things wrong. If power supply is not regulating correctly and it is truly put 33.7V on all of your 5V parts for more than a few milliseconds then it's time to buy a new TV. But if there's something wrong with your measurement technique, then it's possible something is okay.

Finally, power supplies are also known to not regulate correctly if they are not loaded. Do you still have the power supply connected to the TV while you are taking the measurements?